Non-lead Ammo exchange

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Some of you might know that the Yurok Indian Tribe is trying to re-introduce the Condor to the Klamath River basin in NW California. (for whatever reason). They have a biologist working on the project and he gave a presentation last night here in Eureka. Along with that, they had a ammo exchange, where you could trade a box of lead ammo for a box of non-lead ammo.

I thought WTH. I'll put a bag over my head and check it out.:) There was only about 20 of us.

To his credit, this biologist is very pro hunter. He recognizes the role we play in wildlife management and how important our heritage is.

The presentation was pretty convincing if you believe their studies (a big if, I know). One thing that was kind of an eye opener for me was how a lead bullet fragments when shot into an animal. You always hear about a bullet with 90% weight retention (or 95%). Even if you have a pass through, a certain amount of lead is left behind in the carcass. He had a slide show that showed x-rayed animals with the lead fragments left behind. He even had a block of gel that was shot with lead showing the splintered lead. Rigged? Who knows?

After the speech he took questions. One old gentleman (a handsome guy I might add :)) asked that since the lead ban in 2008, why have condors continued to show lead poisoning? He said that they don't know. Maybe the condors are traveling outside the protected area?

Someone else asked about the possibility of copper being banned because it is considered "armor piercing". His answer was that there is a provision in the current proposal that states that if copper is banned, the whole deal is off and that lead would once again be legal. He stated that our own Fish & Wildlife insisted on that addition before they would endorse the bill.

I don't know, I guess it's coming one way or the other. Don't throw me under the bus! I'm as conservative as anyone here!

Eel

BTW, I put together a box of old mismatched ammo from different brands, bullet styles, and weights for my 300 Win Mag and traded it for a box of Hornady Superformance 165gr. GMX. About a $45 value. I'm pretty curious to see how they perform.

This State wide non-lead hunting ammo issue has me wondering...

What do they propose to do about 22lr ammo? Aren't they all lead based?

Does this look like a sure thing? When?

I've been trying to find a new loading for my main hunting rifle. Maybe i had better rethink and skip over the Noslers LR Accubonds and look closer to something like the Barnes products...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

ALSO THE BARNES GREEN TIPPED TROPHY COPPER IS A EXCELLENT CHOICE.......ITS WHAT I NOW USE.....................YD.

I just started shooting the Federal Trophy Copper in my 300 win mag. If everything goes as planned i'll see how they perform on Elk this November .

Joey, good question! According to the biologist, the current Bill, AB 711 should pass at any time. The law would take full effect July 2019. So we do have some time.

264, not sure of the benefits to the tribe. They do claim the condor has spiritual significance in their past history. Now, maybe they will be able to add a condor picture to their slot machines?:)

Eel

Joey, I forgot the second part to you question, about 22LR.

I don't know.

I have this biologists contact info. I'll email him and get back to you.

He did say that the lead ban would be for hunting only. Target shooting lead would not be banned.

Eel

Thanks Steve!!

I hate to give anything away to those that would like to shut us hunters down but i don't have a major problem going non lead if that's what we got to do.

All the lead fishing BB shots i crimped with my teeth through the years, surprising my teeth don't glow.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

A couple years back I was at an HEI meeting in Susanville. The guest speaker informed us of the antis plan to introduce condors (not re-introduce as condors never existed in that area) to the Trinity Alps. The end goal is not just a ban on lead ammo it is a ban on hunting all together. This guy believed that it is just a matter of a few years and there will be no hunting in the PRK.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

As a former(36years) Californian, as wonderful a state as it is, I must say after living in Idaho for 9 years now that you wouldn't miss it.

Hunting is MUCH MUCH better. For those who haven't ever hunted out of Calif for big game, just imagine seeing 1000 deer in a one week hunt, and 5-10 bucks a day on an OTC hunt. That was not possible on public land in D3-5 when I hunted there.

Other opportunities include Upland(Chukar, Huns, Grouse, quail, pheasant, sharptails) and even the waterfowl(amazing honkers in the corn and ducks in the river) are great. Fishing opportunities include some of the best trout in the U.S. on the S Fork of the Boise, Henry's, and Silver Creek, Salmon/Steelhead runs in Central Idaho, and VERY LARGE sturgeon.

The people here are great, and even the most liberal part of the state, downtown Boise, is not really that liberal.

Great place for kids, or as some of us age, grandkids to grow up. Good schools. BSU football.

Housing and cost of living are cheaper than Cali, though gas still costs $3.80/gall. Work is available, though wages tend to be lower but match the cost of living here. There is and will be a huge demand for housing related work as construction is taking off again.

My neighbors up here would skin me for posting this, but the fact is in most of the bigger towns here, 50%+ of the population came here from somewhere else, and probably half from Calif.

I didn't leave the California Gold country because I didn't like where I lived, I moved because of 1)Kids 2)Politics 3)Outdoor recreation.

California will always be an amazing place to visit.

PS While I don't prefer them, the Barnes lines of copper bullets shoot sub moa in every gun I have tried them in.

BPKHunter, you make a very good case. I'm sure the option to move to Idaho is what a lot of people should do, seriously.

Personally, I'm hooked on my little corner of California up here in Eureka. I love being tied to the salt water with its year around mild temperature. It rarely freezes and rarely gets above 70. Although the big game hunting pretty much sucks unless you draw a good tag, the opportunity for me to hunt blacktails every year is there. Bear hunting is great, but I don't ever do it.

I went out a few days ago in my kayak and caught 5 black snappers and a keeper lingcod. Fifteen minutes from the house. I love Brant and Aleutian goose hunting. I used to kill 150 plus ducks a year here, but no so much any more. And then there is razor clams, and sport Dungeness crabbing runs from Nov.1-June 30. I caught 14 king salmon this summer and a 65lb. halibut in the ocean. Steelhead fishing goes all winter long here.

I've hunted Idaho quite a few times over the years and really enjoy it. Maybe it's time to come back and pay a visit.:)

I totally understand what you're saying and if I had it to do over I think Idaho would be the way to go. After all, this site is really about deer and elk hunting.

Eel

I surely do miss the north coast. My wife's favorite get away is the town of Elk, Ca.

I also miss Grey Lodge and the endless rice patties north of Sacramento.

I use to love the Sierra Nevada's, until I learned what they'd be like with game.

I go back every year, sometimes twice, to pig hunt in Soledad also and am amazed at the green fields in January.

I can buy the 5-10% fragmenting but curios to why there hasn't been massive ill effects over the years from hunters consuming lead shot game. I feel like my blood lead levels are the same since switching over ;) voluntarily when asked to do so like most other hunters in the affected areas.

As for the Condors, they get the lead in their systems from all the other trash (literally) that they eat, not gut-piles. The proof is overwhelming, especially since the lead ammo has been taken out of the equation. They haven't bred in the wild in 30 years and their historic food sources are gone (elk and bison). They'd be all gone without the artificial breeding in captivity and supplementing the wild populations diets with still-born calves and other supplements planted for them. Bottom line is they are extinct and have been for 30 years...let them go away in peace...

Joey, in regards to your question about .22 ammo, Mike got back to me:

Hi Steve,

Thank you for coming out to the meeting the other day. It was a great time and I was very pleased to have such a great audience.

You may have heard that just the other day AB 711 passed the senate, so now it goes to the Governor's desk to be signed. I think the odds of him vetoing it are slim, so this is likely our future.

So how this will play out is that by July 1, 2019, if not sooner, the use of lead ammunition for taking of any wildlife will be unlawful. Whether it be hunting or another purpose, if you're shooting a wild animal, you must use non-lead. Lead ammo will still be legal for all other purposes.

In the case of the 22 LR, there are a couple non-lead options that I know of, but they are currently hard to purchase because of the whole ammo shortage thing.
CCI - Short Range Green (SRG) - This is copper - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...low-point-lead-free-box-of-500-10-boxes-of-50
Winchester - Super X Tin Hollow Point - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/39...low-point-lead-free-box-of-500-10-boxes-of-50

Both work well, but are not the best past 100 yards. There is more work to be done to make these better and I'd like to see more varieties from more manufacturers.
Luckily we still have over 5 years for this to catch up, and surely the added demand of the ban will be an incentive for manufacturers to develop some awesome non-lead options.

Feel free to hit me up with any other questions.
Have a great day!

Mike Palermo
Wildlife Biologist
Yurok Tribe
707-954-3571

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-13 AT 00:38AM (MST)[p]Thanks Steve, yeah, nothing there that i see on the Sale shelves at the local sporting goods store! The whole thing kinda pisses me off!! Blame everything on the "hunters" and take more and more away...

I'm not shooting the messenger here, you know what i mean...

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom