nomad or skyline?

N

nmbullfighter

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-09 AT 09:35PM (MST)[p]i know this topic has been pounded..but im getting a new spotting scope..going Vortex so dont try to change my mine on that.. my question is what you would get ? the Nomad, Skyline or Skyline ED?
only thing pushing me away from the skyline is the added length and weight..not sure how well i will be able to tote it around in my pack.. but i like the extra light and digiscope capability..but is it really that much better than the nomad??.well guys i know there are owners of both models out there.. lets hear some input.thanks

I have both, each serve there there
purpose, The skyline has better light
transmision, and better clarity for
digiscoping, but is too large for
packing, mainly because you need
a bigger tripod.

I use the nomad angeled when pack hunting
and it works just fine.

The skyline, is great for window mounts
and atv glassing, or scouting but
if I am packing a rifle, it takes up to
much room.

"just my 2 cents"

I bought the skyline, but 20mm doesn't seem like a lot until you go to put into your backpack. I returned it and got the nomad, just for the sole purpose of packing, I also bought the high country tripod, nice and light.

all depends what your purpose of the scope would be. As stated previous, Skyline is nicer glass, but bigger and heavier.

Can't go wrong with either though.

nrueh

If you are going to be hiking any distance... I would recomend the Nomad. I packed the Nomad and HighCountry tripod around on my hunts this year and they are not only compact, they are light weight.

I don't know if you'll be up to the Hunt Expo, if you are, be sure to stop by the Vortex booth next week to check it out for yourself.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

i read on some other sites and scope review that the Nomad is useless past 40x and you cant see crap at 60x...any truth to this??

ok cool. im not going to be using the scope for digiscoping little birds like in the reviews. i use binos to spot. the scope is just for field judging deer,elk, antelope and oryx..still debating. still on the fence of going with the nomad or skyline..

IMO Huntbigbulls hit it on the head where he mentioned that each have their place. I have both and each serve their purpose. I like the Skyline ED for digiscoping and viewing longrange late at night and early in the morning. The nomad is great for hiking around and picking apart an animal in the backcountry.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

I would go with the Nomad. I just bought one and it is impressive for the cost. My bro in law has the skyline and that thing is like packing a telescope around with you. It does gather light very well and it is very clear. The way I see it, my Nomad is packable, clear and bright. I don't have to pack a heavy duty tripod, and a 2x heavier scope, and the Nomad is cheaper.

Win Win for me.

}}-SLIVER-->

I pack the nomad and same tripod as above too. Great combo! easy to pack as well.
IMAGE_030.jpg

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

i did some research..two times this year i wore my buddies pack. the badlands hypervent..and i was carring his swarovski spotting scope and tripod...We were hiking steep rugged mountains and pretty good distances and i never had a problem with the weight..The skyline is only a inch longer and 7 ounces heavier than his swaro...i think im just going to go with the skyline

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom