No TV?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
This work season didn't bring in what i needed it to, i must cut back, my Dish TV plan was one of the first things i felt needed to let go.

Who else out there is going without TV? Right now, the lack of background TV noise is tuff getting used to.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Gotta have some NASCAR!

Bull Riding!

CMA Awards!

OUTDOOR Channel!

TV is Minimal for me!

Sure the Hell Ain't Worth the monthly Fee!

People like 440 are Glued to the TV/Politics/CNN like White on Rice!

They Turn the Volume up so F'N Loud & let that NOYZ Blare 24/7 like it's GOSPEL!

If it wasn't for people like Jeff Gordon & Brad Keselowski With their Panties tightened up so tight it's choking their Pea Brains of Oxygen I could probably do away with TV altogether!

[font color="red"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5NmLZ39iDg

I hear you Bess. TV has just seemed like one of the necessities but it isn't really. I'm looking forward to not missing it. Seems other than my SF Giants games, everything else i can do without so gonna give it a go.

I have a stack of books ready to go elsewhere and another stack i ain't got to yet. I got a bunch of movies on line that i just recently found were available on u-tube. Then there are the websites that i visit daily, the news from here and there...I guess i'll get by Ok.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

There wasn't tv in my house till I was about 10. Then right before I moved out we had basic cable. Now I have it all. 600 Chanel's of nonstop blabbering adultery and idolatry. I have been up for two hours already. I doubt I will even turn it on until I get back home from work to watch a little college football. Most of it is useless and rots my brain.

Enjoy it Sage.

I have one I watch netflix and dvds on,and I go to neighbors once in a while to watch something.
Hundreds of channels of mostly junk.
I'd rather read or watch real critters.

Joey, you're lucky. I have to have something to watch/listen to so I don't have to listen to the wife.:)

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Did that for a while after during the divorce till I knew what my costs were going to be. I bought a set of the new rabbit ears from wal-mart for like $10 and got the local channels. That covers decent amount of sports to get you by for free.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

This thread got me to thinking, I probably haven't even turned on a tv for a couple weeks or more. I have the whole package deal, but I really should get rid of it.

I got noises in my house that i didn't know i had. The TV rarely ever got turned off, even when in bed, i'd be reading with the TV going out in the living room. It would be on some sporting news talk show as i woke up each day and on when i walked in from work. Often i'd hear some "catch words", they'd grab my attention and i go over and watch a show or two but more often than not, it was always on, just background noise.

Now i'm hearing a CO2 detector doing it's beeping thing. I had a heck of a time trying to figure what was beeping one night. I finally tracked the culprit down to the detector, unplugged it and pulled it's weird looking kinda molded shaped battery. It still beeped so i stuck t in a glassed in book case behind a row of books and covered it up. Not plugged in, no battery, that sucker is still beeping now some 6 months later. I notice it now and am resolved to finally getting out and putting it to use as a target.

The clock on the wall above the back door is a ticker! I wonder if a shot of oil or WD40 would quiet it down. The coffee in my microwave has been done for awhile now, it too is beeping at me. I can hear the neighbor guys outside talking about their quads. This place is a regular carnival of noises when before, all i ever heard was the TV.

Last night, i drempt that i was a Indian, many fish to catch before Winter...

Thanks Guys!!

Joey

Sage,
I'm 16 months without TV.
There's no missing it once it's gone. I do plug in a DVD every once in awhile. I watch a little "Planet Earth" DVD last night.
The good thing is, all my projects are getting completed and I can keep some money away from the media folks.
I miss NASCAR and football but that's not too bad for me since I'm not a rabid fan anyway.
Good luck,
Zeke

Zeke, you had one heck of a year this year in the outdoor way that a lot of us only get to dream about. To do those things, places, and events, sometimes a guy has to cut back a bit and i guess the way we see it, doing without the background noise is a good place to start as any.

They got so they thought everybody was going to continue to pay through the nose for their media. The lower package that i had first dropped down to was still $60./mo. We'll see when my Giants are on the TV playing ball again most every night. I might have to learn how to stream(i guess that's what they call it) or some other way to catch the games on the Puter. Heck with them. They ask too much for me to sit through all those damn commercials. I can do without, pretty sure i can anyway.

On another note, i had missed watching the Country Music Awards, CMA's, this year. This evening I pulled up some options and found on y-tube, a full showing. Seemed it started off OK. Even though Carrie Underwood is anti hunter, something about her causes me to believe that she is as close to American Royalty as we're gonna get.

Anyway, i skipped thru a lot of it, Miranda looked killer by the way, watching some performances and passing on others until i got back toward the end of the show. The Doobie Brothers along with some additional young stars break out into a song that start off slow but grew on me until i had the chills of excitement within me. They were playing our song! Of our time and they were playing it well. Best part of the show, IMO

Here's the link if interested.
The part i referred to starts around 1:52:30

Last night, i watch the movie "Conniger". I had never seen that either. I found it excellent!

Joey

Screw it, the prices are a outrage. I haven't had cable since 2007..

Now we just use a antenna that came with a remote and I can get local channels.

We have a smart tv so its wireless and hulu is free and can watch most major shows for free.

Tried Netflix but found out they have old crappy movies and good ones come hardly ever so I dropped that.

Since I am a amazon prime member I get free movies and tv with that. They have the same movies as Netflix did..

I just wish I could the cell phone. The price verizion charges is bull crap and here in Wyoming you only get service in and near towns and not much in the middle of BFE.. For every minute I don't have service I think Verizon should pay me. ITs not that flippin hard to add some towers...
and verizion has billion of dollars and they don't know how to spend it. tis tis

I've been traveling to work in Idaho for over a year now. No tv at our rental there. It didn't bother me at all till football season started. I like my sports and a couple of the hunting shows. All the rest I could care less about. mtmuley

Just put a Sony 4g curved flat screen on my birthday
List!! (4800.00)
She gets me what ever I want....always!
Sage needs a working woman!
jester

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-14 AT 10:29PM (MST)[p]jester, That's nice...

I'd take a rich working Gal if the right one and she happened to stumble on me. In the mean time, i must pay my own bills and flirt some with the "regular" gals here about. I never been anything much about money except to pay my own way, keep what depts i have paid on time, and my head neither held higher nor lower than any other man when it comes to who has what. It's called character, something you,jester, could do with a little more of.

This evenings movie watched was, Louis L'Amour's, "The Quick And the Dead". I gave it 7 1/2 outa 10. The wife of that easterner sure was a sight to the cowboys and i could see why!

I'm finding less movies on the net, full ones, than i first thought there were. Seems some internet Co's are now trying to charge for these movies and i don't think i'm going to be a willing buyer. Again, they can keep them! lol

You guys doing without TV, cable, dish, or without some of the more expensive packages, thanks for responding and contributing to the thread, jester's bragging excepted, i appreciate the support!!

Joey

So SMACKDADDY?

A 4800.00 TV Huh?

Can't even Imagine what kinda Rifles & Optics She's Buying you!

She Buyin this Stuff for you or is it Her Sister Buyin it for You?

And tell us SMACK?

Are there any 'GOODS' being Traded for: 'She gets me whatever I want....always'?

>Just put a Sony 4g curved
>flat screen on my birthday
>
>List!! (4800.00)
>She gets me what ever I
>want....always!
>Sage needs a working woman!
>jester

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Bess said, "And tell us SMACK?..."

Hijack alert! How about he not tell us? You want to know Bess, Why don't you PM him or you start your own thread regarding his sex life? Not that i believe a single word he says, I just don't care to hear it.

Joey

wbnt, Thanks for the heads up!! I'm going there right after this, look around and see what i can find.

Joey

Hey Uncle sage!

That Ain't the kinda Goods I'm Talkin about!

>wbnt, Thanks for the heads up!!
>I'm going there right after
>this, look around and see
>what i can find.
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-14 AT 05:55PM (MST)[p]Bess, what i need from you is the correct way to wire in all the metal pipes in my house so i can pick up Showtime and HBO!

How about that? There's got to be a old plumbers trick i'm missing? :)

edit: From up above. Yeah, it used to be that around here, a guy could at least get the news and local channels off rabbit ears or a antenna on the roof, but i hear that's just not the case as the upkeep on the towers or relay stations, in this mountainous area, wasn't cost effective so they closed them down.

Joey

Well sage!

I was almost a PIRATE at one time in Life!

In the Early 80's I got me a 9' Dish (One Piece 1/4" Perforated Aluminum,Best Dish ever Built!)And I Dialed Her In!

Wasn't None of this 'PAY' BS!

I could watch anything I wanted to & it didn't cost me a Damn Dime!

Then 8-10 years Later some PRICK decided to start SCRAMBLING Channels!

Probably the Government if the Truth Be Known?

They Finally Got all the Channels!

Now We've got these Little Mini-Sum-Bitchin Dishes that Cost you 100.00+ a Month!

GAWD I Miss My Old Satellite System!

A bill is cheap add NFL Sunday ticket. .hockey. .HBO, Showtime, dvr in four room's
easy 300.00 a month. .I don't pay for it she does.. lol
(That sony is for the bedroom by the way).
Jester

Hey SMACKDADDY?

You got a picture of Her?

>A bill is cheap add NFL
>Sunday ticket. .hockey. .HBO, Showtime,
>dvr in four room's
>easy 300.00 a month. .I don't
>pay for it she does..
>lol
>(That sony is for the bedroom
>by the way).
>Jester

Bess, i remember seeing all those big dishes out and about. Huge things, most the ones i remember were just outside of town or out in the country.

I read someplace that there are systems out there if you want to pay the price but they seemed awful spendy to get installed and set up. What's the point of that? Spend it here or spend it there...

Every day i go without TV, i seem to be missing it less. I am spending more time on the puter though... and, i'm getting through the books on my in-shelf some faster, and, if i'm not mistaken, getting a little better more restful sleep.

Joey

Hey Sage, I can report now that baseball season is over there has been very little on the TV worth watching. About the only thing worth watching the last week was a two part program on the Navy Seal that shot Bin Laden. So far you haven't missed much.

larrbo, I watched that too. Pretty awesome. An actual first hand account from the guy who actually pulled the trigger.

Oops! Sorry Joey:)

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!