No progress

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
It's the 17th and I'm no closer to deciding which unit to apply for. Maybe someone will say something that will sway my opinion.

Here's what I here about the choices I'm considering. I've applied for all of them at one time of another in the past.

121. Great archery hunt. Late rifle hunt. With horses it's very do-able but the wolf depredation and bear (big bear) factor make me hesitant.

62. Almost same as above BUT the rifle season is early, right after archery. Plus this unit has been my first choice in about 5 of the last 9 years.

111. Don't know much about it other than it's a tough draw and has some access issues. But with horses I feel I can overcome that. Plus someone on here was kind enough to post a picture. Looks steep. Maybe not so good for my dad.

24. The only reason I applied for this in the past was because my application partner was "bear scared." Has good success and with max PPs we should have a chance. And I've heard it's easy as far as elk hunts go but the quality isn't there.

In the back of my mind I'm also thinking 30, 31, 32 or 113. Long, long draw odds aren't what I'm looking for since neither my dad or I aren't getting any younger so this is just an option rather than applying for a PP in July.

I've got 13 days left to decide. Anyone want to help me make this decision?

Thanks
kalielkslayer

HaHa!!

Hang in there Cali!

I am working with a fellow now that still can't decide what to do....

He realizes that once he shoots his wad of points it is over for ever on any LQ elk tag.

Keep the faith and go with your gut!

Robb

Cali
I feel your pain. I have been scratching my head over units 45, 54/65, 121, 58, 62, and 63/64. Like you, I can't decide on what to do this year.

I prefer to hunt high elevation elk away from roads and people (backpack in) and I'm a DIY foot soldier. The western units really appeal to me because of this, yet I am nervous about getting a bull packed out before a grizz decides to take claim of my elk before I can get the job done.

I have gotten some good feedback from others on here but nothing yet that has made me feel comfortable about burning max points. This is my only state where I have the magical "max points" and always dreamed of being in in this position, but now I am nervous about burning them and making the wrong choice.

My oldest son also has max points but he is heading off to college this fall and I told him he better study rather than hunt, so he will be in the max point pool for another 5 years. My middle son is one point behind max and has a couple years before heading off to college.

Good luck in your decision making.

What to do, what to do..............

Been there done that cali....
I decided to put in for a unit I have the most positive info on, and if I draw it I'll pack my wife (we were going to split the points but that changed) and all my elk hunting gear and go. Im going to that area for the whole season D.I.Y. I've killed a few bulls and they have all been with a bow but the area I'm putting in for with 4 points won't get you an archery tag so it's going to be rifle and if I kill a bull thats great if I don't...well I tried. Good luck, no matter where you pick I bet you'll enjoy it.

Well my buddy closed the deal last night and did his appl.!

We chatted and between him and his dad they have $400-$500 vested in just 'point fee's'.

Time to burn them!! and save a few bucks.

Pretty exciting and a little nerve racking for him.....fairly decent odds to draw in the cheapie fee side of the draw.

Robb

jodog, so that ws the decision you made?? Well good luck.

Whatelse, I realize there are no guarentees. BUT I also know that twice in the last 4 years I drew what would be considered "primo tags" and both hunts were outstanding, one archery, one muzzy. Just looking forward to another one of those type hunts.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom