No deer on the Bookcliffs.... But...

elks96

Long Time Member
My first trip up to the Book Cliffs was interesting. We left Grand Junction around 9:30 last night and headed up not even sure how to get around. My son and I slept with the dog in the back seat of the truck. Love the fact that the Megacab makes a good bed. We went up Hay Gulch to the road on top, drove around up highers then dropped down. We went for a loop down Moon Ridge Canyon, back up to winter ridge, and kind of all over. We saw turkeys, we saw lots of elk all bulls still packing. We were hoping to find deer. Truth is we never saw a deer or a deer track all day. But after lunch we hit the jack pot... Twice!

44428buffs1.jpg

81143buffs3.jpg

The first group was a bunch of cows and calves. However we later found 3 huge males... It was amazing how much larger they were... Unfortunately they knew we were there about the same time we knew.

65219bigboy.jpg

75940bigboys.jpg

For those who have been in this area, were we lucky or can they the bison usually be found?

Also what was up with the deer? We were all over the big sage areas, the same habitat in Colorado would have held hundreds of deer, but we never cut a deer track or saw a deer. We did see over 200 head of elk...

The Amount of SHEDDIN Traffic in The Books/Heading to the BOOKS here Lately has been UN-REAL!

They've Thinned that Herd of Buffalo out Perty Good the last few Years!

I'd Say You Were a little High for the Most Part to see Deer!

And Maybe not Far enough in to Colorado to Find them!:D

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Bess is right on the deer.

They are in the low country. Once your in them,
You'll see hundreds.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-18 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]The buffalo are pretty easy to find in some areas. Plenty of places without them, but if you cover the country they stick out pretty good. For the most part, this time of year the deer aren't where the buffalo are.

Without researching where to find them, you were definitely lucky to find the bison.

As far as the deer, you would have been far more likely to see them at the bottom of Hay Canyon, than up "on top" where you spoke of. Those that migrate off the North side go further than you guys ventured on that day. That's probably why you didn't see any.

Take that same drive on the 24th of July... You won't be able to spit without hitting a deer. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Thanks for the replies. I thought we might be a little high, but like I said the same elevations and same habitat in Colorado has a bunch of deer right now. Of course Colorado deer are likely migrating from 8,000-10,000 feet to 6500-8,000. Where as the Bookcliffs the highest country was right 8,000 so many of the deer were likely down lower.

Lots of elk up there in the little snow left...

I am hoping to expand my knowledge of the area, I learned a lot on my first trip.

Wow that's a awesome picture of all them Bison

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom