NM Antelope-Unit55

M

MSHunter

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-05 AT 08:58PM (MST)[p]My son and I will be taking our first trip to NM for antelope in a few weeks in Unit 55. I'm not necessarily looking for specific info but I'd like to know what we should expect in terms of quantity/quality. We will be hunting the McClure Ranch. Thanks

You should expect something in the Mid 70's up. I don't know much about that ranch, but I have hunted Unit 55 for Elk, MuleDeer, and Antelope over the years. The ranchers I know and the outfitters in the area tend to average in the High 70's to low 80's pertty consistently on their goats. 15 1/2" to 16" seems to be the norm for most of the animals taken and you will see alot.

Our problem has never been finding the animals, it has been getting close enough for a shot with 100's of eyes watching us. My wife and I are going up for the August hunt and we were told this could be a banner year for antlers in that region. They are way ahead on moisture and have had tons of rain through the spring and early summer. They have continued to get rainfall off and on in the lower country all summer.

Good luck!

I hunted unit 55 a couple of times , and its plum full of antelope . I'm not sure about your ranch , but I figure it'll be like the rest up there . I'd call and talk to the ranch owner , let him/her know your headed there with your son , the majority of those ranchers want you to have a good hunt , even more so when a kid is involved . Just be patient , and take it all in , you guys will get alot a great oppertunity , it should be a blast...NMHUNTNUTT

Thanks guys. My son and I are counting the days until we leave. Can you tell me a little about the general topography of this unit? Also, has anyone used a decoy and or a ground blind this time of year?

4302aa505f916e55.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom