NM Antelope Down!

A

ADDICT

nma_web_1.jpg

VIDEO LINK:
https://vimeo.com/49145079

I was bewildered this year when I did not draw an antelope tag in WY. I immediately began looking for a back-up option. I was able to get a landowner voucher in NM, and the hunt was on!

This trip was special. After 7 years of marriage, my wife finally joined me on an adventure! I figured an antelope hunt would be the perfect gateway. Warm temps, motels, a lot of road hunting and glassing etc. would make a perfect first experience.

We picked her up her first camo and hit the freeway. Despite a flat tire, the 8-hour drive from Phoenix to Willard, NM went seamlessly. We arrived and met the rancher who provided me with a map and property specifics and then turned me loose!

The first two days scouting were mainly getting oriented and trying to find sign. The ranch has a ton of drinkers and even more cattle so antelope tracks were hard to come by. It rained the majority of them time as well so sightings were limited. There were a few breaks and we found a few groups with decent bucks.

Opening morning we were out bright and early. We videoed and judged about 5 different bucks. Nothing caught the attention. The middle of the day was uneventful as we drove a more desolate, open portion of the ranch looking for a bedded buck. We did pick up a solid goat but other hunters had already pinned him down. I watched hopelessly through my 15s from a mile away as they tried to sneak open-country directly at him?FAIL.

That night we regrouped and headed to the area we'd seen the most antelope. My wife was very interested in everything now and actually spotted this buck! He was the best buck we'd seen and besides the weak cutter on his right horn he has a great look to him. He?s 15? long and grosses in around 78.?

It was awesome to have her there with me! I hope she caught the ?bug!?

nma_web2.jpg

nma_web3.jpg

"You skin grizz?"

Congrats on a successful hunt. Sounds like you and the wife had a great time. Thats a nice buck to add to your other great animals you got this year. Good luck on any more you might have.

Crazy huh? I have been amazed by the off-road capabilities of the truck. That air suspension gives you about a 4" lift and the gearing is pretty legit.

"You skin grizz?"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom