NISSAN Electric Car in 2010

kilowatt

Electric Nissan to have 100-mile battery range

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 at 11:22 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 at 11:22 a.m.
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee ? Nissan's new all-electric car to be sold starting late next year will have 100 miles (160 kilometers) of pure battery range, a Nissan North America planning director said.

Product planning and strategy director Mark Perry also told the Chattanooga Engineers Club that the company wants to eventually make the car that will run on a lithium ion battery pack and the batteries at its plant in Smyrna. The car will initially be made in Japan.

Perry told the engineers' group Monday that Tennessee is to be a launch market for the all-electric car after it arrives in late 2010, along with Oregon and Sonoma County, California.

The Chattanooga Times Free Press reported that Perry said the car will seat five.

Nissan's North America headquarters is in Franklin.

Perry said the 100 miles (160 kilometers) of pure battery range is more than double the battery range of some competitors' electric cars.

Perry said that while the cost of a conventional vehicle of similar size may range from $28,000 to $30,000, the U.S. government is offering a tax credit of up to $7,500 on the electric car. He said annual maintenance costs will be about $1,350 less for a pure electric vehicle than a conventional car.

"The payback is immediate," Perry said. He estimated the cost to "fill the tank" at about 90 cents, and said it will take about four to eight hours to do so at a residence.

Perry said plans are to reduce that time frame to four hours in 2012.

Nissan NA spokesman Fred Standish previously said the company submitted an application to the U.S. Department of Energy for a share of the government's $25 billion loan program intended to help automakers retool their plants to build more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Standish said the Smyrna plant, built in 1983, is the only one of Nissan's three plants in the U.S. that would meet the loan's criteria.

The Energy Department has received dozens of applications for the loan program, including requests from Detroit's automakers, Tesla Motors Inc., which builds an all-electric two-seat sports car, and several battery manufacturers.

Well thats all well and good. But theres a problem. When your against oil, gas, coal and nuclear power. At some point your not going to have the electric capacity to plug it in and recharge it so whats the point? Kind of like owning a gun and can't get ammo.

Its called solar and wind power.......now how long has that Mars Rover been up there running around and sending back pictures to earth??????

If the battery has to be charged every 100 miles, and it takes 4-8 hours to charge it, you're going to be stuck pretty close to home. Either that or have this car plus a conventinal car.

We only have one car (a truck) now and I ain't spending another $28,000 to buy another car. Not with the price of the car, license, and insurance that goes along with it.

I could see a two or three car family benefiting though.

>Its called solar and wind power.......now
>how long has that Mars
>Rover been up there running
>around and sending back pictures
>to earth??????

Then the car should not have to be recharged should it? Along as the sun was shining or the wind was blowing the car should run. You should never have to plug it in yet they say you have to plug it in somewhere. Or do you just leave the end of the cord blowing in the wind with the sun shining on it?

They forgot to mention that this car comes with a thousand miles of extention cord for those long distance trips
Good Luck and Great Memories

Maybe they will come out with a gas generator to charge up the battery?:)

Our daughter lives 400 miles from here. One hundred miles, an 8 hour lay over. Another 100 miles, another 8 hour lay over. Gee, that sounds fun!

Eel

I converted my F350 to electric but the engine quit when I ran out of power cord just past my mailbox.

Ransom

A lot of you guys are like me and live in a rural area and will never buy an all electric car.
The person that will greatly benifit from an all electric is the inner city communter that cummutes 70 miles or less from home to work. There will be a need to provide electric outlets where they park to allow re charging for the return to home.
If enought cummunters purchased them, there would be a big cut back on city smog in the major cities and it would decrease the demand for gas and diesel by a good margin.
I vote that we make all those yuppie city, wine drinking, cheese eating communters buy one to drive daily to and from work.

RELH

I'm holding out for the car that runs on "dilithium chrystals", as promised by Mr Spock and Scotty, back in about 1970.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom