Nilgai?

Trix4me

Very Active Member
Headed to south Texas... will be able to hunt whitetail, hogs, and Nilgai on some leased property. Anyone here ever hunted Nilgai? ( Not guided)

No but I want to. When I checked with a few outfitters they had a 300 Win Mag min caliber. My 7mm Rem Mag was not enough gun they said? Don?t have the coin to buy a larger caliber rifle just for that hunt. I may try to borrow a .300 Win mag or larger rifle and give it a try in a year or so.

Hey Marley, my son has an .06 and a 7mm 08. (InTexas). Will we be ok with them, or should I ship down one of my cannons?

I had to look them up. 7mm will kill an elk, moose, or bison...it will kill one of these just fine.

A helicopter hunt sounds fun!

Trix, thanks for the offer. I am in Abilene in West Central Tx. If I decide to spend the $$$$ for a Nilgai hunt I will borrow a 300 Win or a 416 Taylor from my buddy here in town. I know they are tough. But my ?little? 7mm has 6 bull elk to it's credit. I think with decent shot placement it would do the job, especially on cow nilgai. Anyone booking a hunt for nilgai check with your outfitter on caliber restrictions, several ranches offering hunts have them.

After checking several sites and some Nilgai hunting on Youtube. I've decided that Nilgal are tough heavy boned with thick hide that ?closes up with minimal blood on the ground?. But mainly the outfitters want the bigger guns so they have to do less tracking. Understandable

>After checking several sites and some
>Nilgai hunting on Youtube. I've
>decided that Nilgal are tough
>heavy boned with thick hide
>that ?closes up with minimal
>blood on the ground?. But
>mainly the outfitters want the
>bigger guns so they have
>to do less tracking.
>Understandable

I've hunted them twice on the King Ranch. This is probably accurate. I'm a "30 Cal" guy anyway. Used a 300 Weatherby the first time, dropped my bull in it's tracks head on at 240 yards.

Second one was a 300 WSM, dropped in it's tracks at 200. I'd say a 30-06 or 7mm would be fine, but use heavy, bonded bullets. Just like Elk. Don't use junk, or deer bullets, or you may be sorry. Good luck. Seriously the BEST eating animal on 4 legs.

I've hunted nilgai. They are very smart and exceptionally tough. They do not bleed well for trailing after they get a hole poked in them. If you can shoot running animals you stand a better chance at killing a good bull. I recommend a .375 H&H. Can you kill them with smaller caliber weapons? You bet. But I suggest taking as much gun as you can put your hands on. I can kill mule deer bucks with a .22 LR. But that's not preferred. If you don't hit his central nervous system, his heart, or his lungs, I give you less than %25 chance of ever locating him. Don't shoot behind his shoulder. Try and hit him in the low portion of the scapula. You help yourself a lot if he has one or both front wheels taken out. If he is on his feet hit him again and again and again until he tips over. No matter how good the first shot looked. Shoot a well constructed bullet with great mass retention and penetration.

Good luck.

Thanks Tristate! I'm going to check my 300 RUM as necessary baggage (taking your advice) We'll probably look for a good WT first and hopefully a gobbler, as there isn't a season for the Nilgai. I'll use the 7mm-08 for the WT.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom