Newly passed Colorado hunting regs

txhunter58

Long Time Member
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdon...C2-88D0-9BA5F26E874F/0/Ch2BigGameapproved.pdf

Lots of info (it is very long) but appears to have a couple of new wrinkles for muzzleloaders. There is no mention of a length requirement on bullets for muzzys (I have heard they were going to eliminate that reg). And they have the new unit specific muzzy info starting on page 97.

There is also some either sex tags for some muzzy hunt units.

Here is the paragraph on legal muzzy methods:

Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.
a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by muzzle-loading license holders.
b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:
1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and smokeless powder are prohibited.
2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation cloth patches are not sabots.
3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be loaded from the breech are prohibited.
4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting device other than open or ?iron? sights is prohibited.
5. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to the muzzle-loading firearm.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Yes, as it should be and wish other states would follow this.
Thanks for the information.

Semper Fi.

It will be interesting to see how they interpret the rule on open or "iron" sights. Does that eliminate fiber optic front sights? Since it says "iron" can you even have a brass bead on the front sight?

Thanks for the update.

FWIW, the only thing that changed to the existing legal muzzleloader description is the removal of the requirement that a projectile length not exceed twice the diameter. Everything else has been in place for several years.

this rule has been in existance for a while. my omega has fiber optic sights. last year the game warden stopped by to check out a deer we had hanging in camp. he said my sight was perfectly legal. the word "iron sights" is just a term they use, they don't actually have to be iron.

Yes, powerbelts have always been legal (they are NOT sabots). And fiberoptics and Peep sights are legal.

As stated, the only real change is that you can use longer bullets now. For example, for a 50 caliber (1/2 inch diameter bullets), in the past, your bullet could not excede twice that (or 1 inch). Now they can. Still has to be a conical or round ball though, no sabots

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom