NEWFOUNDLAND MOUNTAINS SHEEP HUNT

H

HNTNJUNKIE

My god wonders never cease....I drew a tag in Utah!!! I've only lived here my whole life!!! Well I drew my Bighorn Sheep tag for the Newfoundland Mountains and I was lookin for some info and pic's. I want to know what caliber of sheep have been taken and what I have to look forward to. Oct. 30th isn't going to get here fast enough!!!

First of all, Congratulations on a great tag!
While I have never actually been on the Newfoundlands, I know the sheep in that area are California Bighorns and so they are smaller than the Rocky Mountain variety. Any ram over 160 is a dandy but I have seen pictures of Dave Myrup's ram from out there that went 170ish.
It is very isolated country and I believe you will need to do some hiking, but I hear that herd is doing really well with lots of rams to look over. If you want more advice, I would recommend posting this question in the Sheep section.
Good luck!

I'm not sure of the quality of the sheep out there but it is a neat place to go. Make sure you have a couple of extra spares and plenty of supplies whenever you go out there. It's very isolated and gets very little traffic. Around the west side you can get by with a truck but some of the trails on the east side require an atv. I've been out there several times and usually see sheep. I think you're in for an awesome hunt!

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom