Newbie Please Don't Hate

Rockhouse

Trying to utilize my resources and I was pointed in the direction of getting into this forum. I've been having hard time finding info regarding the area I'm hunting in Utah. A little backstory. My first year hunting elk was last season during the general rifle season in the Manti unit for spike only. I have private access near the north end of the Manti unit where it gives exclusive access to forest service and national forest. The private property doesn't hold elk but as last season panned out it it didn't seem like the national forest did either. Our family hasn't eaten meat for over 3 years. Seriously. We dont by any meat. We eat meat if I'm lucky enough to punch a tag.

I'm looking for any advice from anyone who has hunted this unit willing to share tactics or the elks habits during this time of year. Do they stick to the north facing timbered slopes? If so when do they leave the timber to more open ground? Should I care about water locations? What is the typical traveling routes for elk this time of year. I'm a newbie. Any tactics you would like to share would be helpful for me to implement during my hunt to better improve my odds would be very much appreciated. One thing too is that last 2 weeks ago I caught a trespasser on the private property I have access to. Turns out they killed an elk. I was only able to get the plates of the 2 vehicles parked outside the locked gate. But a pickup had made it through somewhere and they have now been dealt with by authorities. However, I wonder if they may have blown whatever elk that were there away to the next county. Thanks everyone for any advice. Hoping to finally eat meat this year.

There are some amazing vegetarian recipes online.

Oh trust me. I'm a leading authority on vegan/vegetarian recipes. Realize my newbie post comes 6 days prior to the season but looking for any tactics a seasoned elk hunter may know that i don't. Generally i just still hunt and spot and stock. But elk habits would be a great resources to know for the area. Thanks.

I’ve heard those tags make some decent tag soup. I’ve never had it, but quite a few guys seem to eat it pretty consistently
9B11F21C-F802-42AF-B3D6-73433522B992.jpeg

Don't know much about the Manti. I do have insight on many spike only areas. Happy to share what intel I have.
PM if you want
Paul

Don’t know anything about that unit, but there are a million good resources out there. Things like the elk talk podcast can answer some of your questions, and I think there are some paid options, too. If wild game is your protein plan, more than 6 days in advance is a good time to start planning.

No worries. I appreciate the input. Didn't know about this resource of the forum until last night and thought it would be ok to inquire. I've put my boots to the ground prior to these posts but you never know, some advice comes from locals out here that may be very helpful whereas advice from folks hunting western washington may not serve the same purpose.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom