new unit

mntman

Long Time Member
who of you are hunting a unit that you have never hunted in before this year?
Just curious did you grow up there, camped in it, fished, or just heard about it?

I am hunting a new unit in CO for elk. I cashed in my 10 points on a muzzle loader hunt. Drove by/through it all the time to go fishing, but mostly just from hearing about it through friends and others on web. I started scouting it last summer knowing I'd draw it for sure this year and have been spending time over in it now.
One of the main reason's I chose it over other units was the driving distance from home so I could scout more often.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

My son has a cow tag in a unit in Idaho, that we haven't been in in 20 years. All the rest of the hunts we have hunted two or three years now. We have waves of new ones and old ones. For about twenty years we hunted the same places in Idaho. Then the W came in and we moved on. Been chasing new spots we can hunt every year. Settled into a couple in Oregon and Wyoming. Good luck on your CO hunt.

DZ

I'm hunting a unit in NM I've never been in before for elk. Never hunted in NM prior actually, though I've been putting in for the last 5 years. I chose it, after researching it quite a bit, mainly because it's never rifle hunted and it's pretty rough country. That should increase the chances for the elk to get a little older/bigger.

>My son has a cow tag
>in a unit in Idaho,
>that we haven't been in
>in 20 years. All
>the rest of the hunts
>we have hunted two or
>three years now. We
>have waves of new ones
>and old ones. For
>about twenty years we hunted
>the same places in Idaho.
> Then the W came
>in and we moved on.
> Been chasing new spots
>we can hunt every year.
> Settled into a couple
>in Oregon and Wyoming.
>Good luck on your CO
>hunt.
>
>DZ

DZ, i live in Idaho,and might be able to give you some info. what unit did your'e boy draw. Good luck..

Thanks DZ, good luck to you too.
I really like learning new units to hunt. It gives me a reason to get into some new country. With out acquiring a tag, I'd never see a lot of these units. Time is something I don't have a lot of but with a tag, I need to force myself to scout new country.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I try to scout at least one new unit every year. Being tied down with a family and a full time job keeps me hunting the closer units most of the time.

Picked a unit in Colo. that we could draw muzzy cow tags 2nd choice. Now just going to go exploring with a cow tag in our pocket. Who knows, we may find a spot or two that are worth trying it again. Beats sitting at home again this year.

I'm hunting a new unit in NV this year (221-223). Took a bonsai scouting trip two weekends ago and saw a few bucks.......but it's all new. Will probably be a while until I go back (points needed).....if ever.

BOHNTR )))---------->

brdhuntr it is 36A-2. I hunted this area a few times 20 years ago. Thanks for the offer, but I'm hesitant to take info. I like to find them on our own. You know a prideful thing. And then if I want to share the spots to others I feel like I can. Son lives in Twin and can make morning hunts out of it.

DZ

Yep, am deer hunting a unit this year that I haven't been on in just about 50 years, the Pine Valley unit. Figure I have one good and one more 'maybe' hunt left in me before my health puts me on the side of the road instead of on the trail. Always did like southern Utah growing up, it will be fun rekindling some long lost memories. Best of luck to you on your CO hunt mntman, enjoy while you can! Now I just have to find the time to make the long trip down south to see how things have changed!

Hunting a unit in ID I've never stepped foot in nor driven through. Why you ask, because its supposed to be the best and I beat the odds and pulled a tag.... Good luck to you all this year...

I'll be hunting mule deer, Merriam's turkey and upland birds in Montana Region 7 on a left over tag. I didn't draw Utah this year and hadn't hunted mule deer in several years and had never hunted Montana so why not! I'll be driving through Wyoming antelope unit 3 in the very NE corner of the state to get to Montana so I picked up a doe tag for there as well.

I live in SW Missouri and won't be able to set foot in the hunting area before I go out but I've been doing lots of cyber scouting. I've hunted CO, UT and WY multiple times for elk, deer and antelope and have been successful almost every year in new areas. My philosophy is to have fun in a new area and be realistic about the size of the horns. A state specific OnX Maps gps chip is my friend as well.

NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom