New to the Forum/LE - Book Cliffs- Deep Creeks?

S

SteepandDeepBulls

So I'm new as a "Poster", but not as a follower or reader. I've been following "Monster Muley's for years, I have just never registered. I was just stoked this year to finally have drawn my L.E. Rifle Book Cliffs Muley Tag! So I thought I'd post my happiness! I've been in for 9 years, and I debated this year as to whether or not I would just keep putting in for the Henry's or for Fillmore Oak Creek. But I decided that with the changes coming in 2012 and with no one for sure know what the next few years would hold, I just went all in for the Books! Plus with the rollover rate I'd probably be about 45 by the time I got the Henry's! Ha! Hope I made the right choice. Honestly I'm stoked and will just love getting out there with my brothers and my Father. I've always wanted to make it over to the Book's as well as just take a nice buck. Because I need to start in on my LE Bull points.

Also my brother drew his LE Bull Deep Creek tag, I'm fairly familiar with the area, and the Indian Land, but any info or pics that anyone else has would be much appreciated. I'll be out there hiking my legs off later this season to see what I can turn up! My brother won't be able to do much scouting, so I'm going to try and help him out as much as I can. That country is pretty unforgiving!

Anyway good to finally be posting on the forum! Sorry this was long! Ha

Congrats on the tags and come back often! I've only been on the site for a few months myself, but it's a great one with an awful lot of great, dedicated members who know their stuff!!!

Congratulations on getting a LE Book Cliffs tag. My father-in-law had that some tag several years ago and seen tons of 22? 3X4 bucks. From what I have heard things have not changed a lot. One thing we experience while hunting that area is the deer move of the tops the first sign of bad weather around the first of October. All the deer that we seen during the summer scouting had moved 10-15 miles within a week or two before the hunt started. If it was me I would save all my scouting time and pound the heck out of the area the week prior to the hunt.

Good luck and hope to see pictures later on.

400bull

For the Rifle hunt It will do you no good to scout for deer, (in a way, as was stated prior). It will do you good to head down there and scout out what you would consider winter range. you will want to learn the terrain. I would start at McCook ridge and work your way around from there. During the hunt McCook is about as busy as state street in SLC.

It would greatly benefeit you to be down there 3-4 days before the hunt starts, That will tell you what kind of deer you will be seeing. Dont get into a big hurry to shoot something the first couple of days, the hunting seems to get better toward the end of the hunt. Trophys down there are rare but can be found.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

LAST EDITED ON May-26-11 AT 08:23AM (MST)[p]I would be talking with Justr-86, He up there all the time it seems, about the only times he not up there is when he's sitting by a dead cow.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

That's not very nice Gator.....

I can help you with some areas to start looking where the deer will be during your hunt. I work down here, have friends that work a little farther in and they send me pictures of bucks and bulls throughout the summer.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

You know I still love ya like a brother right.
I should draw BC next year.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Thanks for all the good advice. Yes, I will definitely try to post pictures of any scouting trips I take, and it sounds as though the best time will be about 1 week before the hunt starts! Ha! And justr_86 any advice or tips on where to start looking when I come down would be very appreciated as that country is huge! I'm stoked just to be able to hunt a L.E. and see a lot of deer and be with my brothers. Should be a fun hunt!

HEY FELLAS.....I DREW THE BC RIFLE NR AS WELL, JUSTR86 & KAWBOY HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP. ANY INFO WOULD BE GOOD HERE AS WELL.....PM ME IF YOU CARE TO. STEEPAND DEEPBULLS.....CONGRATS, WE MIGHT NEED TO COMPARE NOTES & GET INTO THE RIGHT AREA.....THANKS GUYS..........YD.

YD, Congrats to you as well. Yes for sure, I'm all about helping one another out, as the season gets closer we'll have to talk so we can see whats going on out there. I've been looking foward to this hunt for a long time now! Should be a lot of fun.

STEEP&DEEP......YAW...IT TOOK ME 12 YEARS TO PULL THIS TAG AS A NR. STAY IN TOUCH, SHOULD BE A LOT OF FUN FOR SURE. PLANNING HAS ALREADY STARTED..........YOU TAKE CARE.......YD.

You guys should watch this video...

Best example of the Book Cliffs experience... Yours will be in a different area of the unit- but the quality will be about like in the video...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Browning,

Nice, love the video and that's an awesome buck he ends up taking. Thanks for sharing. Yeah I would be stoked to take a buck like that, just have to do some pre-season homework I guess, and get back into it thick!

Browning,

Thanks for posting the video, is it yours? I hunted the unit the same year and ended up killing the four point at the 1:27-1:35 mark. It was neat to see some footage of my buck alive. Such a cool unit and a fun hunt. Congrats to those of you who drew out, you will have a blast.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-11 AT 09:05AM (MST)[p] Hey SixGunn- it's not my video, just one of my favs. That is a sweet buck you took. Did he almost have a 5th coming off his right G2..?? Did you ever score him..?? Looked like he might be about 160"..?? I love his antlers- very solid look to him...

Also, did you have him mounted- it'd be sweet to see him on the wall, or at least some field pics of him...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Browning,

Never did put a tape to him. Here are a few pics of him on the ground. What a fun hunt, wished I could spend every year out there bow hunting. I did end up getting him mounted. He looks good on the wall.

2262100_0973.jpg

9080100_0975.jpg

1786resize_3.jpg

A couple more.....

He did have a kicker starting. I ended up taking this buck on the last day I was there.

4344100_0979.jpg

4339100_0984.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom