New to Idaho

scubasteven25

Just wanted to say hello being as I have been snooping around this section for a few months now. I just got stationed here at Mountain Home coming from New Mexico. I'm really looking forward to getting out in the woods this fall, just have to figure out a whole new draw system. Being as I am new to the area I am starting to look for some hunting partners. If anyone has any ideas or needs an extra hand with any hunting adventure, just let me know. I am always willing to learn something new. I do archery and rifle hunting. Thanks and keep the good stories coming. I attached a couple of pictures of some of my past hunting adventures.

Steven

NewMexicomuledeer2002.jpg

DSC01632.jpg

100_0073.jpg

100_0054.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

DSC03130.jpg

Welcome to Idaho.

The areas north of Mtn. Home were fantastic deer hunting areas 20 years ago. I grew up in the hills between Blacks Creek and Bennett Mountain.

As far as the draw system, the only thing you need to know is that unit 45 to the East of Highway 20 is a limited entry for deer and elk. The tags there are very hard to draw, but if you do, you will have a good chance at a nice buck/bull.

The unit west of Highway 20 is unit 39, easily the most widely hunted unit in the state. With that being said, there still are nice bucks taken every year in unit 39. Going North a bit you will run into units 43 and 44. 43 is a general tag and along with the northern parts of 39, is very rugged country and hunted heavily. (There are also a lot of bears in that higher country of 39/43). 44 is a draw, similar to 45 but higher country and the deer/elk migrate out during mid October.

Going south from Mtn. Home you get into the Owyhee units (40,41,42) and they are all controlled hunt. Fun country, very desolate. Unit 46 is down south too and is a general hunt, but not a high quality hunt by any stretch. I suppose a guy could spend a few weeks in unit 46 and find a decent buck, I'd be surprised if it was bigger than 160.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction. I would certainly put in for the limited entry tags and then buy general tags if you don't draw. Living in Mtn. Home puts you within 45 minutes of some of the greatest deer country in the world in all directions, hard part is getting a tag!

Nice pic's, welcome to Idaho.
Like Shelbys said the good units are tough to draw here.
You have more options bow hunting.
Lot of bear up north, and wolves.
I live to the southeast of you.
If you want more info out this way let me know.

Welcome to the state.
Like others have said there is some great Deer hunting close to MT Home, but don't forget about all the great fishing, waterfowl hunting,and Chucker hunting. CJ Stike has had some great fishing latley, and the south fork of the Boise river is always good.

Thanks for the comments and advice. I have already started seeing some wildlife during my travels the past few days and I am getting psyched. I am not much of a fisher, but as I said, I am willing to learn something new. I do some wing-shooting but it has been a while since I've been in a good area.

As I stated before, I am really looking for some people to get out in the woods with this year. If anyone on here needs an extra hand or just wants to split the costs on a hunting adventure, just let me know. I am almost always ready to go for anything.

Howdy,
My son is stationed at Mtn. Home AFB. also but he is currently in Iraq until the end of June. He and I both hunt Elk and Deer in Idaho. I'm sure he would hook up with you for any hunting when he returns. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you his info.
Paul

Welcome to Idaho. I moved to Meridian a few years ago myself and have had a blast getting to know the area. Being a bow hunter, you will want to look into the late season archery that goes on in 39, north of mtn home. You get to hunt bucks most of november on a general tag. It's a pretty fun hunt. Good luck!

Brady

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom