New to Boise & MM, general hunts?

R

Rich1979

Hi all, I'm a new user here on Monster Muleys and also new to the Boise area after spending the last 15 years in Texas. I'm pretty stoked to get going with some deer & elk hunting. For this year at least, it'll have to be general seasons, since I've missed the draw. I've hunted SE Idaho a few times in the past, down around Georgetown/Montpelier. I loved the country there, but between the longer drive over to there and the crowds & roads, I was hoping to find something a little closer to home. I'm in pretty good shape, and certainly don't mind climbing to find the animals, and I love open type country where you can set up and glass a lot. I also don't mind swinging for the fences, going to a place with a good potential for big deer/elk and coming up empty, but having the potential to find the big guy if things work out the right way.

So, I was wondering if anybody might suggest some good units or areas to try from around here? Obviously I'm not looking for your honey hole, but a point in the right direction where I can make some weekend scouting trips while it's still summer would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Richard

Welcome to the state! If you hadn't noticed, you moved into the most populated area we have. So, as you can imagine, the closer to boise you are, the more pressure you will see. I would advise doing some driving with a Idaho gazetteer and exploring some areas away from populations. Good luck, and make some buddies in your area who may have some tricks up their sleeve.

I left the Boise area in 92, so most of my info is old news. If you are a math guy the odds can point you in some good directions. Idaho Fish and Game is great about passing all the numbers on. I think their counts on animals can be a bit skewed. But harvest numbers can really help, for me if it is over 20% then I feel like I have a good shot. I suggest you find "YOUR" place on your own. Then 20 years from now you can say it is my spot, not Joe's from work. Two things I look for when finding a new place to hunt is lower road density. If you can get yourself a mile from any vehicle, including ATV's before sunrise you stand a good chance of being in the right place. Next is elevation change, up or down. It makes the pack out harder but the success rate goes up dramatically when you are a mile or two off the road and 3000 feet different in elevation. find those kind of places first then look for water and feed. As stated before I would draw a circle of 100 miles around Boise and start out side of that. Although 3 of the biggest deer that I have seen were within 10 miles of Boise. But in 1980 something those areas were fields not houses like today. One other thing I look for is ample public land. Working the fringe of private can be very fruitful but usually you are not alone, and I would rather be alone. You should also pick up the Lifetime hunting license. If you ever think you might leave the state it is a must have. Even if you don't think you will leave it will save you $'s so you should do it the first year.

Good luck DZ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom