New to Antelope

H

Hunterva

I live in Virginia and want to hunt antelope and mule deer. Are there any states with over the counter tags? I am not familiar with drawing for licenses. Any suggestions for places to hunt? Looking fo a DYI hunt that will not break me up. Anyone know of private lands that are not expensive. Any suggestions for eastern Montana or Wyoming? Any help appreciated.

For antelope, Wyoming is probably the best bet. Not really any over the counter tags but in many units there are plenty of tags that don't ever sell out and can be drawn by a non-res no problem. Or I guess you could call them over the counter since after the draw all left-overs are sold 1st come.

The units that don't sell out usually have lots of private land but if you do your homework you can find places to hunt and should have no problem getting a antelope anyway, deer is harder.

Call the WDFW office for whatever area you want to hunt, talk to the bio and get the list many will have that gives you names of landowners/ranchers that allow trespass hunting, some are not much and some are, just have to call and find out.

Or better yet, check the WDFW website and look for the units with Hunter Walk-in areas, this is land that is private but you can access, plenty of it to be had and if you go later in the season some can be OK for getting at least a OK buck - fun hunting whatever you do and be sure to pick up a couple doe tags while your at it.

Great advice. Don't feel like you need to stick with private ground for antelope. There is a huge amount of public ground with great hunting. As you can see, most of us on here are willing to at least give out good general advice, maybe not our honey hole spots, but specific enough for you to come out here and have a great hunt. I would bet if you drew a tag you could find someone willing to hang out with you for a day or two, just for the outing. As I've said before, antelope hunting is probably one of the most quality hunts available. Lots of country, and if you pick the right times, no other hunters.

If you can afford it I would look to Mike Zemek with Blue Rock Outfitters in Brodus Montana. He has decent antelope and good mule deer or whitetail deer to hunt. Check his web page out!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom