New Scope

C

COarcher

Im thinking about getting a new .338 and want to get a good scope with some good high power. What would you guys recommend for the magniifaction range. I was thinking something around 16 or 24 max with an objective lens of 50mm. What do you guys think and what scopes would you recomend?
COarcher

Why do you want a varmint scope on a big game rifle?

I have a feeling your 338 will eat a heavy 50mm for lunch. With heavy recoiling rifles its best to stay away from big bulky heavy scopes.

I'd stick with a 3-9ish 12x or 14x max range and a 40mm at most. It will do anything you want it to do in during leagal shooting hours. Those big scopes are great for shooting varmints at 500 yards, but on an elk/moose rifle? Jezzuz I could get by with a 4x out to as far as I should be shooting.

Why? The real question is why not. I know that 18x or 24x might be a little to much. But where I hunt its pretty open and the shots can be long and having that few extra magnification can really help. Also I like 50mm objectives. I like having the ability to see through my scope at first light when the big bucks are out.
COarcher

I hunted last fall with a couple guys who had the leupold 6.5-20. They had leupold install target turrets on them. They also had leupolds cutom shop calculate and etch the ballistics from there loads on the turrets. So they could range the shot, dial the turret for yardage and hold dead on. They were comfortable shooting 500yds. with their setups. Not to say that they would encourage that, but they had put in the time and work to do so if absolutely need be. I love the leupolds. I own a couple zeiss and they are nice also, but leupold has won the bulk of my business through their service. The more I hunt the more I like the high powered scopes. I'd go with the 6.5-20x50 or the 6.5-20x40 LR 30mm tube, or the 4.5-14 in either config.
Just my two cents.
A week from now I'll be in WY antelope hunting with my .257 wby accumark topped with a 8.5-25x50mm LR leupold. Its almost like cheating. I can not wait.

USOptics SN-3 TPal with GAP reticle. You will never regret these optics and your grandkids will be using them. The absolute best I've ever used.

I put a Leupold VX-L 6.5-20x56mm on my .300 Ultra Mag and I am very happy with this scope. The scope is great in low light conditions and I like having the option of turning it up to 20 power. I don't care about scope size as this is a big rifle. As mentioned in another post you cannot beat Leupolds customer service. All of my rifles have Leupolds. I know there are other good scopes out there but I cannot see any reason to not use Leupolds.

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom