New Scope Is Ready To Rock N Roll!

slamdunk

Got my 5.5X22X56 Nightforce mounted up last night my .300 Weatherby Alaskan Mark V by my goodfriend and gun smith, Lance.
I'm going to be running 180gr Accubonds through it at 3300fps.
I gotta admit i am a little intimidated by my set up because i know that i have more scope than i do gun, and i have more gun than i have in me.
I know what the set up will do, but i also know what my limitations will be.........for now ;-)

Anyone have a simliar setup they can give tips and advise?

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-10 AT 01:27PM (MST)[p]Sounds similar to my setup. Mossberg .243 with a TASCO 4X fixed. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have. The only advice I can offer is "close your eyes real tight right when you pull the trigger". Works for me.

One other thing.... if you kinda throw the gun forward when you fire it helps with the recoil. I don't want to give away too many secrets but what the heck.

Slick

Don't listen to stinky, or let him touch it for that matter. His skills might rub off on the gun.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-10 AT 01:05PM (MST)[p]

Only tip I have is back off the ol' 300 before she blows!

Just get out and do it, it aint hard, just takes some shooting to get the computer dope vs. real life findings worked out, by the time you do that and have your dope card worked up, you will be a pro...and need a new barrel :)

and in a few years, you'll be kicking yourself for putting that hubble on your gun, where a 3.5-10x40 would get you to 1k nicely :)

edit to add, start buying your load components in bulk, kegs of powder versus pounds..same with bullets and primers, by the thousand...consistency is your friend.

I hope you dont plan on shooting more then 300 yards with that bad boy! Because here at MM the ethics police will shi.t down both legs if someone is shooting farther then they can,

Hey PUNK?
You gonna hit em where stinkbug does?}>}>}>

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

I have been bow-shooting/ hunting for the last five years... this year got a good tag and dug out my 300wsm. I have a Remington XCR with a Swarovski scope- sorta similar.

To temper the nerves of shooting; I have been shooting 4-7 shots every tuesday night (targets and squirrels)... It helps me pull the trigger and get used to the gun.

It hurts a little (have to admit), but the weekly shooting lets my shoulder heal.

I also machined the trigger down to 3lbs...

Good luck!

BUNCH OF WUSSIES!

i'm 5'7" 145 lbs, and have been shooting a 300wby since i was a senior in high school. suck it up tight and sqeeze the trigger. right before i went to alaska on my moose hunt, i would shoot 2 boxes of 180 swift a-frames through my mk-5 once a week for a couple months before my hunt. it doesn't hurt, it's a "feel good" pain:)

now past the b.s.-- all the above is true, but i forgot to add...

i was shooting with my buddy the whole time who shoots a 30-378 wby. at the end of 2 boxes i would start getting a little flinchy. one day after i was through 2 boxes my buddy says "here, shoot mine" i was not looking forward to it, AT ALL!

so i suck it up tight and sqeezed it. to my suprize, no kick, no "jump" in the gun at all, no need to find the target again- it never left the target.

that week i went and had the same muzzle break put on my 300wby. i could handle the recoil. 99.99% of the time- but it just isn't nessesary at all+ if you add in the fact that it stayes on target after you shoot- it's a no-brainer

I've got my Weatherby "pumped up" even a little hotter and have a ballistic-drop-compensating turret on the scope.

I LOVE IT!

With the use of a range finder, on days without wind, I can hit 60% of rock chucks.....at 700 yards.

I did finally "give up" and install a muzzle break. I should have done so earlier. The .300 in which I shoot regular loads doesn't need it but the "new one" on steroids is better with it.

Enjoy.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

>BUNCH OF WUSSIES!
>
>i'm 5'7" 145 lbs, and have
>been shooting a 300wby since
>i was a senior in
>high school. suck it up
>tight and sqeeze the trigger.
>right before i went to
>alaska on my moose hunt,
>i would shoot 2 boxes
>of 180 swift a-frames through
>my mk-5 once a week
>for a couple months before
>my hunt. it doesn't
>hurt, it's a "feel good"
>pain:)
>
>
>now past the b.s.-- all
>the above is true, but
>i forgot to add...
>
>
>i was shooting with my buddy
>the whole time who shoots
>a 30-378 wby. at the
>end of 2 boxes i
>would start getting a little
>flinchy. one day after i
>was through 2 boxes my
>buddy says "here, shoot mine"
> i was not
>looking forward to it, AT
>ALL!
>
>so i suck it up tight
>and sqeezed it. to
>my suprize, no kick, no
>"jump" in the gun at
>all, no need to find
>the target again- it never
>left the target.
>
>that week i went and had
>the same muzzle break put
>on my 300wby. i could
>handle the recoil. 99.99% of
>the time- but it just
>isn't nessesary at all+ if
>you add in the fact
>that it stayes on target
>after you shoot- it's a
>no-brainer

The MK5 in 30-378 is a sweetheart, guys look at that carnivorous case and get intimidated, till they shoot it..and it aint all that bad w/o the brake.

For any of the bigger magnums, you definitely should put a brake on them. It is one thing to handle the recoil sitting on a bench, but when you shoot prone, and have the gun a little higher on the shoulder, a brake helps.

Thanks for all the input, i'm pretty excited.
I have had the rifle for a while and had a 3.5X10 50mm Leupold in it, and it was great then.
No bessy, i won't hit 'em where Stinky does.....i hope not anywa :)
My trigger is set in the high 3 pound range, we'll call it "4".
And if can ever get to where i can hit rock chucks at 700 yards i will be tickled!!
Like i said earlier, i know the set up can do it, but can i??? ;-)

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-10 AT 06:28PM (MST)[p]Slamdunk

Hope you didn't get stinkys old scope........ LOL
What reticle did you get?
I've been shooting NXS for several years
Did you put some MOA under it?
What rangefinder do you have?
Do you have a ballistic program?
Do you have a crony?

CANNON

PS. I can be of some help, even tho you wasnt much help on my Deep Creek hunt last year........JK

4 pound trigger is a little heavy for a long range setup, you might want to look at turning it down or replacing it with a jewel trigger, but if you shoot it good where its at just leave it alone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom