New Rangefinders

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I have used a Nikon Monarch 1200 for 6 years now and I have been fairly happy. My only criticism at all is 1)Slighly larger than some pricier competitors and 2) Typically only realistically range consistent to 750-850 yards, which again is only less than pricier competitors(Leica/Swaro). These issues have not warranted paying the extra $6-700 bucks to fix.

Now I see Nikon has a 1000 with the angle compensation for around $350. I have not heard good things about other brands(Leupold/Bushnell) on their angle compensation on long-ranges. Has anyone heard if or tried the new Nikon and can they speak to the new technology and the reliability of the laser?

Also, I see Leica just came out with 1600 yard version of their small unit. Any feedback.

FYI, before anyone flames me on how you don't need a rangefinder for more than 300 yards, just stop yourself. I only shoot withing my well-practiced effective range, but I want as LONG a range-finding capability as I can get as it helps me know how far I have to stalk and what place I need to get to to have a realistic shot.

Don' waste your time, just buy a Leica either new or used and be done with it. Buy once, cry once... but you'll love the performance and the size! MHO... NJS

>Don' waste your time, just buy
>a Leica either new or
>used and be done with
>it. Buy once, cry once...
>but you'll love the performance
>and the size! MHO... NJS
>

NJS,

While I thank you for your response, you obviously didn't read my post! I am interested in the angle compensation, which Leica or Swaro doesn't offer. BTW, If I felt I needed the extra range of the higher dollar units I would get the Swaro as the feedback is much better and I already own swaro binos/spotters which are excellent and great service.

I bought the Nikon 1000, it seems to exactly mirror the ranging performance of my 1200 with easy reads to 900 yards in the relatively flat ground near my home. I will try it out this weekend in steeper country and report back on the angle compensated readings. It is actually as light as the Leica 1200, which was my only real complaint about my 1200, so I have my fingers crossed.

I just got the Leica 1600. It takes the temperature, angle, and barrometric pressure into consideration before spitting you out a number. If you want it too, it will also tell you the holdover or under in inches or centimeters for your zero and ballistics next to the yardage number. It's pretty much awesome.

Also, Cameraland is the only place out of 15 or so companies that I called that actually has one in stock. Ordered mine and had it at my door in 3 days. Thanks Doug!

The Leica won't work for archers. If you're a rifle hunter, it would be great.

The Nikon is the best thing out for archers at the moment.

I think what he referring to is the ballistic calculation software. The Leica will range objects fine but to use the ballistic compensating feature, you need to program in your BC, etc. which you can't do with an arrow.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-10 AT 01:04PM (MST)[p]The new Leica 1600 provides holdover for long range shooting not angle compensation range similar to Nikon and Leopold. It will give you an actual angle but you will have to do the math to come up with the (compensated) range.

So, it will "work", but it isn't what you need or want in steep country.

BPK,
The Rifle Hunter 1000 should meet all your requirements. ID technoogy and one of my favorite features, a orange LED display for lowlight visibility.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Bart, Do you know if anybody has them in stock? I'd love to check them out. I bought the acher's choice max and lost it after about a month. Now I need a new one- would like the riflehunter but can't find it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom