New Nikon EDG binos question?

O

OJ10

I am in the process of buying new 10x42's and I noticed that Nikon has a promo going on when you buy the new EDG optics you will receive a new Nikon D3000 digital camera (msrp is about $550)
first of all would do you all think of the EDG line and second is the promo worth passing up some Swaros and Leicas????

they are probably doing the promo becasue they cant sale the EDG at that price with out adding the camera in the package deal.

I was about to buy the Meopta Meopro 10x50 before I had seen the promo
I found a local retailer selling me the EDG's for $1700
I should probably just go with the Meopta's and buy digital camera and still save some money??

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-10 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]Edg is a great bino and at that deal you would be getting the binos for around $1300-you can't get a leica,zeiss or swar new for that price. But, do you need the camera??

Its still easy to find a Zeiss FL demo for around $1500 or a Leica Untravid HD demo for around the same, cameraland has a swarovision demo right now in 8.5x for $1900.

Optically I would not take an edg over a Ultravid HD,Zeiss fl or swarovision. Its about on par with the old swar EL optically.

The EDG isn't bad. Optically it's comparable to the "old" Swarovski EL. In my testing, I've seen a decent optical performance, but some mechanical shortcomings. The eye cups lack rigidity and collapse too easily. Though sleek in appearance, they are a bit too heavy for my liking and the armouring gets slick when wet or cold. It's a good first entry into this category for Nikon, but they have some improvements to make. The camera isn't too bad though. Sounds like a decent deal, and yes, Nikon is having MAJOR issues selling the EDG line of products. It's like in cars, if people want to spend BMW money, they won't buy something for that price with the name Nissan on it. Bushnell had the same experience 6 years ago with the Elite...now look at its price.

well said. I tried EDG. It's good binoculars. At its price point, even with free camera, it cannot compete with new Swarovski's new EL optically. Then, it is squeezed really hard by those new low cost ED binoculars like ZEN ED2 on the price with almost similar optical performance.

Well for the best bang for my buck!!

I am going to buy the Swarovski SLC's I know its old technology but they have come down in price quite a bit and I will still have my first pair of Swaro's. I think it would beat a pair of Nikons any day!!

So for $1300 I can get the 10x42's and for around $1600 the 10x50's!!

I just can see myself spending over $2000 right now for the El's!!

Plus I drew non-res Unit 2B (rifle)tag in northern NM this year without an outfitter number (I am doing it DIY)!! So I need to say a some money for that hunt and still be able to buy some Swarovski's!!!

But I am still debating IF I should buy the 10x42 or the 10x50 for the NM Unit 2B hunt!!

Anyone have any suggestions?????

-OJ

>I think it
>would beat a pair of
>Nikons any day!!
>

THe only one you gotta convince is you, but I wouldn't sell the Nikon EDG short. It's an amazing binocular with better optics and ergonomics to me than the Swarovski SLC.

I agree with Foreman. To my eye the EDG is superior to the SLC in every way, and will hold it's own with any of the big boys best optics. Don't be a sheep. Buy what looks best to you.

One small problem is that I live in an area that does not give me the opportunity to look through any of optics I mentioned. The best sporting good shops I have in town are Sports Authority, Academy Sports and Big 5.
None of these stores carry high end optics!!
So the closest one is 400 miles out!!
I think for longevity of the warranty I like the SLC's a little more!!

>One small problem is that I
>live in an area that
>does not give me the
>opportunity to look through any
>of optics I mentioned. The
>best sporting good shops I
>have in town are Sports
>Authority, Academy Sports and Big
>5.
>None of these stores carry high
>end optics!!
>So the closest one is 400
>miles out!!
>I think for longevity of the
>warranty I like the SLC's
>a little more!!

It's your dime, and Nikon's warranty is 25 years "No Fault".

Figuring my hunt isn't for another 4 mos I am going to take a trip to Cabelas before I buy and take your alls advice of looking through some glass
it's to much money not to!!!

Make sure you have an employee take you outside when you look through them, until I did that I was going to go with swarovski, but outside the zeiss glass looked better to my eyes. Glad I did it,
I never saw any edg binos when I was shopping, let us know what you get

That John Denver is full of $#!t man

OJ10, where do you live? Sometimes an MM member will meet with you and let you look through thier glass. fatrooster.

Well I just got back from Phoenix. I visited Cabelas, Sportsmens Warehouse, and Ross Outdoors.

The guy at Ross Outdoors was awesome at the attention to detail when choosing Swaro binos.
He convinced me into the 15x56 SLC with a tripod. Those were amazing optics he has a used pair for about $1800 if anyone is interested!!

They also rent Swaro's by the day or the week, great way to get hooked!!

I am going to pick my new ones up in about 2 weeks but I still maybe swayed into the 10x50's not sure yet!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom