New muzzy

marley

Very Active Member
Had my gunsmith turn me out a muzzy barrel to swap out my 6.5 SST barrel. Pop the extractor spring out of the bolt so it doesn’t toss my primer modules, pop the scope off and add the Revic peep and Bobs your uncle. Shoots a 50 caliber 340 grain ELDX at 2130 FPS with 105 weighed grains of 209 powder.
IMG_6488.jpeg

That 105 Would Be Pushing Limits!

In Regular Type SmokePoles Anyway!

I Had A BH 209 REP Tell Me NEVER EVER Exceed 140 Grains By Volume & He Said I Don't Care What Gun!

Of Course They Are Protecting Their-selves!

That & They Haven't Seen Marley's Gun He Calls A MuzzleLoader!:D:D:D

It should be about 150 by volume equivalent if I did my math right. That muzzle break is probably a life saver with that load. I shoot 84 g by weight though a muzzleloader without a muzzle break and it is not fun to shoot, almost violent. My gun shoots so good that I don’t want to take a chance of messing it up by putting a break on it but it would sure make my shoulder feel better when I go to the range. Muzzleloader are evolving to maximize allowed regulations until they change the regulations to get it back in check. It will never end. Good luck on the hunts this season.

It should be about 150 by volume equivalent if I did my math right. That muzzle break is probably a life saver with that load. I shoot 84 g by weight though a muzzleloader without a muzzle break and it is not fun to shoot, almost violent. My gun shoots so good that I don’t want to take a chance of messing it up by putting a break on it but it would sure make my shoulder feel better when I go to the range. Muzzleloader are evolving to maximize allowed regulations until they change the regulations to get it back in check. It will never end. Good luck on the hunts this season.
I weighed a load out and then poured that load into my volume measuring tool and it was about 127 volume grains. Yes it’s violent even with the muzzle brake. I shot 15 rounds the other day and I felt it the next day.

I shoot 80 grains of 209 by weight.... it's a little shy of 120gr by volume. Something sounds amiss, I emailed blackthorn years back and they said conversion rate was approximately 0.7:1 weight to volume, which would put your load at 150..?

I shoot 80 grains of 209 by weight.... it's a little shy of 120gr by volume. Something sounds amiss, I emailed blackthorn years back and they said conversion rate was approximately 0.7:1 weight to volume, which would put your load at 150..?
Depends on the lot# different lots weight different. I shoot 90 grains by weight and by volume it’s 110 grains.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom