New Mexico Unit 50 Elk

M

MWHill2

My father in law, a friend and myself were forturnate enough to be drawn for a unit 50 Bull Elk hunt. The hunt is Oct. 8-12 and is a rifle hunt. I live in Texas (by Houston) but love hunting in New Mexico. Being so far away, I have to do most of my scouting utilizing google earth as well as maps. I realize this unit is mainly a migrational unit but am hopeing that there are some resident Elk. I am a fire fighter and my friend is an officer so we usually go to the local FD and PD hoping to find some hunters willing to give a little info. If any of you are familar with this unit and willing to pass along some info we would appreciate it greatly. This will be our first time hunting elk and we have always been do it yourself type hunters. We are not afraid to walk to avoid crowds

Last time i hunted that area, the only place i found elk was on top of pot mtn!! Its also called cerro de la orla. The mtns jus south, acrss from there is a pretty good spot also!!

tough hunt hope for early fall and some weather any kind besides hot and clear and use binocs alot get on top of Pot mountain bivy camp on top and glass glass glass. Like was said before the moutains south of Pot can and does have elk but will likely b on top . 4x4 very useful as the roads can get slick and gummy in wet weather but roads going up the moutains are all closed and have been . Likely if you kill an elk the pack out will be down hill

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-11 AT 09:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-11 AT 09:12?PM (MST)

Anybody with experience in the SW part of this unit. South and ESE of El Rito? I will be out during archery season trying to run one down

Trying to head that way in late August for a scouting trip as well.

MWHill2 - I swear I am not out to highjack your threads. I am just browsing around like you and don't see the need to run two threads on the unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom