New Mexico Unit 4 in December

Tricky

My first elk hunt will be in early December on private land in New Mexico's Unit 4, just southeast of Chama. I have some extended-family connections with the landowners, including one who lives locally and has guided in the area and will be coming along with us.

I don't want to just show up having done no homework and expect this guy to put me on a big bull. I won't be able to get there in advance to scout (not that I'd know what to look for anyway) -- but can anyone point me to information on what the elk will be doing at that time of year at this elevation in terms of behavior (feeding, bedding, what type of slopes are likely to hold animals, etc.). I'm willing to do whatever I can to educate myself as much as I can, but I really don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance

--------------
Just getting into big game hunting in my 40s because I want to secure, process and cook my own wild game.

Your best bet is to talk to the guy who lives there and has guided. Bulls that time of year are either mixed in with large groups of cows, or totally solo in rough country.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom