New Mexico SB196

Does anyone find this helpful?

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

I don't think NM politicians listen to non resident voters. I have hunted there many times but will never apply again so I don't care what NM does with their tags. 2% is a little low and you can't count the other 8% because those are welfare tags just like LO tags are.

The $27 application fee per critter combined with damn-near impossible draw odds are enough to keep quite a few folks from applying in NM, me included! And now, NMG&F is proposing to reduce the non-resident tags so the draw odds will be worse than before in addition to the $27 application fee. Give me a break!!!I'll take my $27 and buy some lottery tickets...

New Mexico- The non-Vaseline state...

Thanks Joe. Remember when NM was going to make you sit out a year if you drew a Q/HD tag then they said no you can apply again the next year they don't know what they want to do they are just bound and determined to mess things up, and I have spent a TON of money hunting NM the last ten years. SB109 = more money in my pocket my wife is all for it.

That link is good as it sends to 3 representatives automatically.

I sent them a detailed letter saying that I had a fantastic hunt in New Mexico last year with my son, but it looks like I will will never go back due to SB 196.
As with most politicians though I suspect I was pissin against the wind.
HH

Here's what I don't get about New Mexico, They obviously want more tourism. So they go and implement horrible plans to increase tourism.

Exhibit 1: "Amazing" football games like the New Mexico Bowl featuring a couple teams with horrible records.

Exhibit 2: This new push to keep non-resident hunters out of the State.

Doesn't make sense.

Thanks Joe! I sent my polite, but strongly worded message, that they are going to reduce G&F funding as well as money coming into the state during nonresident hunting trips if that Bill is passed. Let them know they are biting the hand that feeds them and maybe it won't go through!!!

Got a couple of replys back thanking me for let them know how the Non-resident hunter are see this. So it working keep sending out the message.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Maybe some kind of bonus or preference point system would help. To keep paying the proposed 90.00 dollars just to apply for nonexistent tags as a non resident isn't very inviting. At least make your chances improve slightly over the years. Heck, Arizona has a system that leaves a lot to be desired but it is way superior to what NM wants. Change their landowner system and they wont need to be so extreme with these changes. Oh well, I'm sure we are not seeing the BIG PICTURE.

I've already received three nice messages back since this morning thanking me for my concern and comments on what NM will lose if this goes through, so maybe we will make a positive difference!

Great job guys! The MM brotherhood is alive and well.
Thanks again.

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Thanks to Joe also! I just got my 4th response a little while ago and it was from Senator Munoz. He is a sponsor of the Bill and sent a lengthy email back stating that his original proposal was not what was now being discussed and that he is opposed to having the random draw for nonresidents cut to 2% of the tags. It doesn't sound like with other things that he mentioned that he will vote against it if it goes through the way it is written though. He is saying that nonresidents have a much better chance at a lot of the licenses than do residents of NM!!!

"He is saying that nonresidents have a much better chance at a lot of the licenses than do residents of NM!!! "

They get 78% of the tags NR gets 22% I don't see how that can be possible. Now it a different story on the Top units because most NR puts in for the top units (hell if your going to travel there you sure aren't going to put in for a run of the mill unit) and only the die hard trophy hunters residents puts in for the top units, so the numbers are in the NR favor because of the volume of guys putting in vs the number of resident that are putting for the same unit. We are only talking about Deer and Elk here. The 12 % outfitter tags that are up for draw can be drawn by Resident and non-residents alike, Now who fault is it if a resident don't apply for them, SORRY if you want to hunt every year you needs to pay to play. Hunting has always been that way money is what makes the F&G dept run.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>Does anyone find this helpful?
>
>Joe

I found it very helpful!

I've received 2 automated "I'm busy go fly a kite" replies and the 2 following replies.

Thank you for your email.
Senator Jennings wanted to be sure you knew he received your email, and will take it into consideration when he votes on SB 196.
Regards
Michaelene

Michaelene M. Kyrala
Leadership Analyst
Senator Timothy Z. Jennings
Thank you for your thoughts and concerns about hunting opportunity in New Mexico, and Senate Bill 196.I believe that the future of hunting for all of us across the nation depends first on ensuring that the great American tradition of hunting opportunity is accessible for all citizens, not just the wealthy or well-connected. Many average citizens in New Mexico are dropping out of hunting altogether and we are losing a tradition and connection to the land because it has become so difficult for a resident of average means to obtain a big-game hunting license in their own state. That is why I believe residents of New Mexico deserve 90 percent of big game licenses. A 90 percent guarantee for residents is standard in the majority of western states, and it is also not as restrictive to non-residents as some states in the Midwest and other places are with re-established elk herds, and is not as restrictive as states such as Oregon that guarantee residents 95 percent of deer and elk drawings and 97 percent of antelope and black bear. A 90 percent quota on big game draw hunts for resident hunters is the most common practice in western states and has been in place for years in Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nevada and Utah. While my first priority is to ensure adequate local opportunity to pass on our hunting traditions, I do also believe that non-residents should not be overly restricted. My legislation, as originally written, permitted 10 percent of big game draw licenses to go to non-residents and did not mandate that anyone hire an outfitter. The issue we are now working through in the New Mexico legislature is how to deal with the outfitter set aside that was established in New Mexico law in 1997 at a level of 12 percent. This set-aside mandates that a substantial number of hunters must hire an outfitter in order to get access to a hunting license. In the past this mandate has overly restricted New Mexico residents to just 78 percent of big game licenses, a number so low that it actually gives our state residents lower odds of getting a license than non-residents in over two-thirds of our big game hunts. Amendments were added to Senate Bill 196 that have re-established the outfitter set-aside and reduced it to 8 percent, but now the set-aside has overly restricted non-residents to just two-percent of licenses. It is important to note that the Senate Conservation Committee was just laying the groundwork for a final bill. I am now committed to work to improve the status of non-resident hunters like you, as two-percent is too low for non-residents who are not forced to hire an outfitter. The outfitter set-aside mandate is a problem and a difficult issue to solve for both resident and non-resident hunters who love New Mexico.
Thank you again for taking the time to write on this important issue.
Respectfully,

Senator George K. Mu?oz
NM State Senator District 4

I like everything I have read from this Munoz. I think his heart is in the right spot and his initial proposal and explanation of it are valid. One of the few politicians I will allow to use the words "hunting tradition". That being said, he is just one guy and we nonresidents will get screwed in the end by other welfare loving senators.

Munoz is being a politican, he could say screw the outfitters, they don't give oufitter tags in Wyoming, plus they give a lot more than 10% to nonresidents, they do give outfitters some tags in Nv but its still about 10% to the general public, Utah doesn't give 8% to guides, neither does Idaho, or Arizona. New Mexico basicly sucks, remember when they tried to give all nonresident tags to the outfitters some years ago? I called the New Mexico dept of tourism back then and told them that I will not spend a vacation dollar in their state ever again. I may make that call again.

>>>>
Munoz is being a politican, he could say screw the outfitters, they don't give oufitter tags in Wyoming, plus they give a lot more than10% to nonresidents, they do give outfitters some tags in Nv but its still about 10% to the general public, Utah doesn't give 8% to guides, neither does Idaho, or Arizona. New Mexico basicly sucks, remember when they tried to give all nonresident tags to the outfitters some years ago? I called the New Mexico dept of tourism back then and told them that I will not spend a vacation dollar in their state ever again. I may make that call again.
>>>>

I can see some political garbage in his response to me, but generally I'd say his reply was much better then I expected after letting them know I, as a non resident, was considering never spending another dime in the state of New Mexico if the 2% figure became the standard.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-11 AT 07:35PM (MST)[p]Hey Gator, good point about the NR wanting to draw for the best unit because of traveling so far.

Here's what I emailed back to Munoz or whatever his name is.

I asked where can I find the transpicts, figures, etc. that they are using to base their findings. I know they all want to keep jobs,but I hope this isn't just over the R not being able to hunt The Gila every other year or wanting to hunt in their own back yards.

Here's something I think their haven't considered,(as Gator said about hunting The Gila etc). Alot of the so-so tags are not being drawn for by the R that's why the NR get more of those tags. What is NMGF going to do with all those tags now that the NR aren't drawing in NM anymore and the R don't want them.

As far as Family Hunting Traditions, I asked what about my kids and family hunting traditions? Here in IL. we don't have elk,sheep,etc.

I know the animals are the property of the state,but most of,if not all of the hunting by R and NR is done on The National Forest which is owned by all the people of the USA. This ground is the very live blood of the animals.

And this is not directed at any of the great people I've met on here from NM.,but I hope this comes back and bites The Law Makers in the butt.

Keep up the good work.

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

The problem with the good senator is he knew about the outfitter quota, and he acts like it didn't cross his mind. I bet some back door deal in which nonguided nonresidents will get 4 or 5% of available tags, its a joke but thats the way the weasels work. I may call tomorrow and tell them if its less than 10% there will be no tourism dollars from me, and I will make an effort to work the anti NM blogs the best I can.

Wow! Out of staters po'd cause of huntin percentages???? You should look up what the dumb arses did to the oil and gas, coal, potash, and everything else that was lucrative for the state for revenue.
And we all think these politicians give a rats arse what you or even the locals think???? Get a grip...
Hell, half the country thinks Obamee's the fix all... Ha.
Have another drink.. I am. :0)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom