New Mexico Ibex.

M

McKinney

I applied in the draw for a NM Ibex hunt in the Florida Mountains. They only issue 15 total tags so my odds are very low but who knows, maybe Providence will smile on me and I'll be one of the 15. Have any of you ever hunting for Ibex in NM?

McKinney aka Hiker
Proverbs 3:5-6

I know a few people that have . I put in every year , first choice for muzzle loader and then the once in a lifetime hunt . Its gonna happen some day I hope !!There are some great billys up there , the world record was killed last Feb during the muzzle loader hunt . I have a friend who lives there in Deming that sometimes checks in here at MM that keeps some tabs on the herd , just gotta have Lady Luck SHINE !!!

The goat measured 52 and 50 inches and scores officially 118 3/8 , making it the new world record muzzle loader ibex , and there are only 2 others recorded that score higher , #1 is 135 7/8 and #2 121 6/8 , both are rifle kills . In 05 another 50 inch billy was killed as well as the new #2 archery goat at 36 inches , but 05 records haven't been added as of yet . The numbers are good and hunting pressure is limited , so to draw is a chance at true world class animals . I want to draw that hunt more than anything , I'd gladly give up elk and mule deer and speed goats for a shot at the Floridas . I day dream of it ...

Hey NMHUNTNUT

have u try year round Tag? there are some ibex on 3 little sister mountain if u know where! I hunt on cooks Peak also but never found them after long stalk! and the weather real hot! the rattle down there are very dangerous!

friend of my killed nice billy when i was with him! his horn was 43" around there i think! very tough climb! applied again and hope to get the tag sometime! i know some area that hold many goats!

good luck

vinihunt :)

Hey vini , what going on . No I don't mess with that tag , too far away to go and look for them off the Floridas . I did hear of some barbary sheep finally , but will wait till winter to start hunting em , they are gonna start shedding thier wool/hair and look rough right now , so I''m gonna wait .
As for the snakes , well I'm sure glad the hunts are in winter cause that area is a snake pitt for sure , I get chills thinking of them suckers....

Hiker I never had it , but have ate regular goat . I'll try anything once . I know billys get pretty nasty smelling and have heard they taste rough , but I imagine as long as the meat is cared for theres bound to be a way to cook it up right ....

Just found out this morning the new #2 muzzloader ibex was killed in Feb . The billy is 50 and 49 inches long with 8 in bases and scores 116 and change and is just waiting for the mandatory dates to be oficailly scored . The goat will move to number 4 all time and #2 for muzzle loader . The ibex herd is growing some big goats , just have to draw !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom