New Mexico Antelope Survey!

jims

Long Time Member
How many of you have received a New Mexico antelope survey in the mail? It's time to get fired up and get as many of your buddies to submit a survey as possible.

New Mexico's current rifle public draw tag system is a total joke! I get fired up every time I think about it! Currently you have to apply for a group of units and get assigned a ranch. Going into the draw you have no clue which ranch you will draw or where you will hunt. If you draw you have no choice but to hunt the ranch you are assigned (whether it is 2,000 or 10,000 acres). Believe me, there is no way to research, scout, or plan a hunt until you arrive a night or so before the season! If after 10 years of applying you draw a crummy ranch you are out of luck!

Supposedly the rancher is required to give public hunters free and equal access to the ranch. Most (if not all) of these ranchers have paying clients on the ranch at the same time and you can only imagine how the public hunters are often treated! I can't say this happens all the time but would think this system is a pain in the rear for the landowner, outfitter, NMG&F, public hunters...and likely even the pay clients?

Rifle antelope are the only species in New Mexico that are dealt this way. Why not have a draw system similar to deer and elk? I really think it is time that New Mexico residents step up to the plate and make needed changes to this system! There are millions of acres of public land available in New Mexico to hunt antelope and currently rifle antelope hunters don't have free access to this public land when they draw tags! If you ask me this is really a travesty to the public hunters and especially the guys that like to do-it-yourself hunts!

Guided hunters get a chunk of the public drawn New Mexico antelope tags...and there are also a chunk of tags that go to landowners. I really think public draw hunters are getting shafted with this system!

I haven't had time to look on the NMG&F website to see whether the survey forms are available there, but everyone that reads this post ought to submit a survey to try changing this system! Hopefully Garth, Eastmans, and others will advertise this as well so this system will change! If you like to hunt antelope I can guarantee you this will open up some incredible options in the near future!

Jims,
I have been crusing this site for over 2 years and at one time got a user name and posted a couple of times. Lost the password etc., but your post made me sign-up again so I could thank you.

NM antelope policy is a complete mess! I will submit my survey now, and if enough of us respond maybe we can get the NMDGF's attention.

Again, Thank you!

No problem! Believe me, I usually don't post controversial subjects unless I really get fired up about something! I thought I would bring this to everyone's attention because I really think it will benefit hunters, landowners, and outfitters in New Mexico!

There is another post on the muledeer forum that has gotten a little bloody! Hopefully everyone will unite and improve what is currently going on!

I personally, don't see the present system as all negative. It does allow the Joe Average hunter access to what may be a nice private land hunt for no extra cost. The majority of the pronghorn are on private land, so every one wins.

Jims-

I see your points and agree with most. As you may or may not know, there are areas of what I call "No Mans Land" here in NM that only get hunted by the Archery guys and the MI guys. These are ranches not signed up under ranch agreements. Some ranchers flat don't want anyone on their place period. There is probably need to explore these holes and allow for public permits to be issued for access to public lands only where public road access is available. This would allow for your scenario where you could scout and look for a buck on public. The down side would be if that buck got on private land you hunted it and killed it. At that point, it could be considered not only trespass but poaching.

As you know, if I could see anything good come out of this it would be fixing the BS with the ranch assignments.

Maybe something on the lines of what the archery folks have would work. However, they would still need to deal with the LO permits and whether those permits could be used on public lands. I doubt your going to get any system that allows public access to private lands without some incentive to the LO.

I guarantee you that the dept likes the ability to manage and assure a specific harvest on antelope. Going to something less than they have now may not fit their biological desires. They worry about antelope fluctuations in herd size and makeup. The system in place allows for careful management. You will have to assure them that nothing will affect the delicate factors
associated with pronghorn management.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom