new mexico antelope draw odds

R

rifleman1

i've been told that historically the draw odds are low in nm for antelope. its always seemed everyone wants to hunt in the northeast part of the state. do you think by putting in for another region of the state you might increase your odds of drawing an out-of-state tag?

NewMex has the weirdest draw system for rifle antelope tags of anywhere in the US. You have to apply for a grouping of several units and will be assigned a ranch to hunt in one of the units. When you apply you have no say which ranch you are applying for nor even which unit you prefer to hunt. To top it off, a fraction of the total tags are handed out to nonresidents...of which are cut into nonresident nonguided vs guided tags.

You can also purchase tags from landowners or outfitters without having to deal with a draw. The outfitters usually charge about $1,500 to $4,000 for these tags and/or hunts.

If you ask me, this is the goofiest and outfitter friendliest draw system in the country! If you are average Joe hunter (like myself) that likes to hunt public land or draw a tag and find your own land to hunt you are screwed!

My brother and I put in for the public Ant101 hunt in 2004. When we heard that we drew a tag we assumed that we could go anywhere in the state that was open to that hunt. Well they assigned us each a different ranch, which could have also been anywhere in the state, but it turned out both ranches were in our home county(Unit 16). The next big surprise was that Unit 16 is also known for world class antelope.

If you draw, you'll be assigned to a ranch, and the ranchers are required to give you unrestricted access for hunting. And should make sure you know the boundaries. On the ranch I hunted, the rancher was extremely helpful giving me tips, and scouting, etc.

I had put in and drew for an antelope archery tag about ten years back. I took that hunt about as serious as a Fred Sanford heart attack. I had been wanting to apply again for antelope and last year my brother and I applied and drew(first try and draw for my brother, second try and draw for me). But I have heard that it IS in fact very low draw odds. I've heard a lot about hunters applying for ten or fifteen years before drawing. I'll be applying for the archery hunt this year as I think the odds a little better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom