New hunting clothing, your opinion?

Coloradoboy

Very Active Member
So, Im looking to update all my gear as far as clothing/camo goes for the 2011/2012 season. I've been looking into sitka and other top brands.. Would like to get my hands on some 49 Rail but not sure how to do so. If you had to choose a complete system, price not being factor what would it be? Thanks.
Coloradoboy

I'm kinda partial to Carhartt and Dickies ...Unless the weather is cold and nasty..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I had a good friend that was telling me about Kuiu. He said that its going to be sold on first come basis to those whom are blog subscribers. So does that mean I have to subscribe to even be able to purchase it? Or is it too late. The stuff looks good, Im not really sold on the camo pattern, but in reality its not much different to gore optifade.

I have no experience with Kuiu, except I've hunted the island four times. I have Sitka gear and Russel Outdoors gear and I've got to say Russel's is top-notch stuff. I can't decide which is better, Sitka or Russel's but Russel's is about half the price of Sitka. I like the Sitka pattern better. I've been in some pretty nasty weather in Alaska and whitetail hunting in northern Idaho and both kept me dry and warm.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

those who were blog subscribers are able to shop this week before the gear officially launches March 31st. All indications point to a rapid sell out of the initial supply. If you check out the blog and like the gear, I would jump on the shopping site ASAP on the 31st. Having followed the blog since last year I can't wait for my pre-shop day which is Wed. I was going to buy a bunch of Sitka Gear until I stumbled onto KUIU. From all the reviews written by field testers, it appears KUIU's gear is of higher quality and lower prices when compared to Sitka. If you are buying gear for this coming hunting seasons, you should email Jason at KUIU sometime next week before the 31st to check on availability of all the gear you are interested in.

Nails

The Kuiu gear looks very good, but personally the patterns look like they came from desert storm. I really don't understand why they couldnt incorporate different patterns that feature more greens and such. I hunt the high country of colorado during archery seaosn I want something that blends in. The forest optifade seems like it would do the trick...

I would also consider Russell Outdoors Apx clothing.
I have been quite happy with it. It is not quite as good as Sitka, but very close and probably half price.

+1 On Russell Outdoors!! If you watch camofire you can get it for over half off. I Got all my Russell stuff off that site. They do have sitka on this site too but still at half off its still expensive and usually only has small sizes. My .02

My son and I went sheep hunting last August in the NWT. We outfitted ourselves with Sitka and I have to say we have been very satisfied with it. Most of our stuff was bought at about half the retail price on sales and websites like Camofire, etc. which really helped with the cost. We also went with the old mothwing camo pattern, which we personally like better than the optifade. (That is partially why we got reduced prices cause they were closing out that pattern).
Our guide was trying some new Russel rain gear that was softer than our Sitka rain gear, but a little heavier. I might consider it as well.

I just went through this process and ended up buying pretty much a full set of the Russell Outdoor gear. I bought most of it at camofire, but some of it from linton outdoors.

I have everything in the Russell APXg2 gear in my grubby little hands except a Zephyr L3 Jacket that I just ordered. Initial thoughts are that I'm very impressed with the Cyclone L5 rain gear. The L1 lightweight base layers are really nice too, very smooth and not super tight like the underarmour stuff. The L2 stuff is only going to work for me if it is below freezing and I need to sit for a long time. I about broke a sweat just trying it on at the house. The Gale L4 jacket should work very well in the cold, but I'm afraid I won't use it very often. It will still be nice to have though. I didn't bother with the L4 bibs, I can't think of anytime that I will be out in the cold that long sitting still that I would need them. The Zephyr line is what I'm planning on using pretty exclusively with the lightweight L1 base top. I haven't decided, but I'm debating picking up an extra pair of Zephyr L3 pants and a couple extra L1 base layer tops if they go back on sale again.

Here's my total cost in the Russell gear that I've picked up. This doesn't include shipping on the camofire items, but I used the add on shipping option and they were all sent in 2 shipments. The stuff from Linton Outdoors shipped free with orders over $100.

L1 Alpine Base Pants $20 - Camofire
L1 Alpine Base Top - $25 - Linton Outdoors
L2 Tundra Pullover - $42 - Camofire
L2 Tundra Pants - $40 - Camofire
L3 Zephyr Jacket - $60 - Linton Outdoors
L3 Zephyr Pants - $55 - Camofire
L4 Gale Jacket - $80 - Linton Outdoors
L5 Cyclone Rain Jacket - $75 - Camofire
L5 Cyclone Rain Pants - $68 - Camofire

That totals up to $465, throw in the shipping on the camofire stuff and it gets up around $480 total. That gear would have cost well over $1,000 at full retail.

I also found a 2009 close out pair of Ascent pants at footwear outfitters in Idaho. They ended up run $92 including shipping so a pretty good deal on them.

On inital reaction, I like the Sitka Ascent pants better than the Russell L3 Zephyr pants, but I think the Russell pants are supposed to be a little better at shedding water. I like the optifade camo better than the Mossy Oak Treestand, but I am one of those guys who really doesn't feel like the deer care one way or the other on the color of the camo though.

I'm going from twill pants and cotton T-shirts with some cheap mad dog rain gear to this setup, so hopefully it will work out for me. I wasn't really ever super uncomfortable in the old stuff, but hopefully this will have me set for many years to come.

I'm now addicted to the camofire site and will probably end up with some more stuff before it is all said and done.

It will in 2011, but the stuff they are selling out at the cheap prices is all in Mossy Oak Treestand.

It really isn't that bad of a pattern though. I've never sat in a treestand and I think it will work fine where I hunt in the dark timber in Wyoming.

Wow, just spent the last hour on the Kuiu site. Looks like they may be the new cat's meow. The Attack pants look awesome, and finally, an inseam of 35 1/2. I went ahead and subscribed, hopefully Nails doesn't buy my size!

lmao, it is 9:30 pm here in WI and my pre-shop starts at 12:00 am EST. I won't be able to afford all the items I want right away, but the attack pants are on my list. Size 38"

Nails

Colorado,
Thought I better tell you a little more about Russell Gear.

-Camo pattern currently available is adequate, but more is coming.
-The base layer is fantastic, and light. It is on sale at cabelas for 40% off. Get that now no matter what else you get.
-The pants are comfortable, quite weather proof, and move well with your body. They due tend to strain at some seams, leaving little pin holes that leak. I heard they fixed this in the new patterns.
-The pullover scent stop jacket is outstanding! keeps the wind out, is very comfortable.
-The top layer jacket is also top knotch. Very well built, moves with your body, very weather proof.

You are going to get the best deals NOW if you want discounts. Wait longer and the camo options are better, but you will pay full price.

Hope that helps.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom