New Guy, Retired Gun Writer

D

dogzapper

Hi All,

I just signed on today.

I was a gun writer for about twenty-five years. I started with Wolfe Publishing (Handloader and Rifle), skipped to Guns & Ammo and eventually ended up scribbling the final fifteen years at Varmint Hunter Magazine.

My writing specialties were handloading and precision rifles.

I've hunted a great deal in our western states, plus British Columbia, Alberta (lots), the Yukon Territory, Zimbabwe and the Northern Transvaal of the RSA. Our home is quite literally a "Dead Petting Zoo."

Karen, my wife of 49+ years, has been my constant hunting and shooting companion. She was called "Old Deadeye" in lots of my articles.

Today, we are both 70 years of age and relatively busted-up from an active and rather fun life. We had to stop hunting a few years ago, simply because we were no longer physically able.

Thanks for such a GREAT web site.

God Bless,

Steve Timm

Below are a few critters:

Welcome aboard Steve glad to have you here. Hope you brought a big shovel as you might need it when some of the "Know it all" gets to talking.

I have read some of your stories and articles years ago, I remembered the first two pictures.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Welcome, Nice to have another person who knows about reloading. We can use the info.You'll have fun here.

Welcome aboard and hope you have fun here. Great trophy animals. That ram is about as perfect as you can get.

RELH

Wow, what a ram.
Unfortunately, the first and last photos are obviously photoshopped.
Everyone knows that it is impossible to kill something without wearing a $1000 suit of the latest camo craze.

Look forward to your posts.

Nice pics....glad to have you on MM. I'll give you some tips right off the bat...don't talk about justifying 1000 yard shots with a rifle, 100 yard shots with a bow, or that Claude Dallas may or may not be in the right.....or wrong.

Also, try to avoid any conversations with elkassassin, aka BOBCATBESS. He likes to kiss men on the mouth...and he smells like pork and beans. I haven't figured that one out yet.

M'Balz Es Hari

REALLY!!

I'll have to watch out for that galute.

Actually, I'm a hunter and not a shooter. One of my last prairie goats was soooo much smarter than me and I eventually got MAD and just plain killed him at 429 yards.

And I was so sad that I was not man enough to stalk close and kill him. No, I was not good enough and I just killed him at a long range ... because I could.

And I was ashamed.

The antelope buck in the photo was stalked through a danged cactus patch and I bled for him.

Stalking close and killing them at a short distance is absolutely what a hunter does.

By the way, I guided for elk hunters in Hell's Canyon of the Snake River and have never written about those adventures in magazines. Plus, I've had lots of fun hunting in Zim and the RSA. Hopefully, I can share the stories here.

Blessings,

Steve

Welcome.
Photoshopped photos. That's a old guy in those pictures.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Nice pics....glad to have you on
>MM. I'll give you some
>tips right off the bat...don't
>talk about justifying 1000 yard
>shots with a rifle, 100
>yard shots with a bow,
>or that Claude Dallas may
>or may not be in
>the right.....or wrong.
>
>Also, try to avoid any conversations
>with elkassassin, aka BOBCATBESS. He
>likes to kiss men on
>the mouth...and he smells like
>pork and beans. I haven't
>figured that one out yet.
>
>
>
>
>M'Balz Es Hari

JUDAS!

F'N!

PRIEST!

Wisz!

I Raid your Cupboard while you're on the Vernon & that's all you left Ms Wisz to eat was some canned goodies!

JUDAS!

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

Welcome to the site.

Don't take anything you read on here seriously.....it is all simple, yet priceless, entertainment.

Also, given the fact that you made your living as a "wordsmith", be prepared to mingle with a whole bunch of Nimrods' that think "Merriam Webster", is a sub-species of turkey from Southern Utah.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

As He got Older He got some Camo!:D

Welcome aboard Steve - good to have someone else relatively intelligent on here once in a while, at least someone who knows how to spell properly and uses correct grammar - or at least knows how to use spell check! As well as thick skin you better have a high tolerance for grammatical inaccuracy, lowbrow humor, and overall lack of intelligence! ;-)

Don't let any of that fool you though, most of these fellers know what they are talking about, at least enough to start a fight on the internet.

This place is kind of like a bar in a tight-knit community, you walk in, sit down, get bullied a little in a friendly sort of way, but will probably establish relationships that will last for years.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-13 AT 10:11AM (MST)[p]

OK, wife photos. She kills her own stuff, by the way.

Karen's first prairie goat

This goat looks like a thin-horn in the photo. It is actually a much better head than shows here.

One year, my lady wanted to see just how darned close she could get to a buck and kill it. I don't have a photo handy, but he was decent ... but the REAL TROPHY was the shot ... 12 yards!!!!

Here's a decent mule I shot just before a heck of a blizzard blew in. Jordan, Montana ... .280 Ackley.

Here's a couple of my boys.

The work begins. Smack in the bottom of a deep canyon, naturally.

I whacked this big boy in northern Alberta one VERY cold morning. Almost froze to death.

God Bless,

Steve

Gotta love a picture that's old enough to have Guts in it to!

You know!

Back when nobody cared if there was Guts in the Pics!

More Guts Pics Please!

Steve, great photos. My wife doesn't hunt. Sometimes I wish she did, sometimes not. Dot your I's cross your T's and don't say woof when you mean wolf. mtmuley

Steve, you have lots of memories to be proud of for sure. I'm not that far behind you as I'm 64. You and your wife did very well. I don't know about you but I miss hunting back in the day. It seems things were a lot simpler back then.

What years did you write for Guns and Ammo? My father-in-law who died about 10 years ago subscribed to Guns and Ammo for a very long time and he collected every issue. He loved that magazine and I'm sure he thought highly of you.

Eel

Welcome and Congrats, must be pretty neat being able to make a living off things that you like to do anyway.

We'll look forward to your comments and advice in the "Shooting, Guns,..." Forum.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-13 AT 05:53PM (MST)[p]Eel,

I scribbled for just a few issues of Guns & Ammo. They paid horribly and each article had to go through eight mon-gunny editors. I finally walked away in disgust.

Here's a pretty deer I shot with my .280 Ackley and a prototype Nosler they never made.

A decent mule I whacked in eastern Montana. I wrote about it in one of the Nosler Manuals

Elmer Keith was my friend and he helped greatly in my development of the .338-'06. I wrote about that in a 1984 Handloader Magazine and in one of the Nosler Manuals.

Elmer sent me a copy of Hell I Was There and wrote this in the front of the book.

Off to Vigil Mass for this heathen.

God Bless,

Steve

....there is a god.....just what we needed here, a good catholic. One more RMJ woulda sunk this boat.

>....there is a god.....just what we
>needed here, a good catholic.
>One more RMJ woulda sunk
>this boat.

EASY with the ROCKY MOUNTAIN JEW Comments!

Even RMJ's know there is a God!

JUDAS!

Maybe We should have a """ZIGGER goes to Church""" Forum?:D:D:D

I can't stop coming back to this thread to look at that Dall ........ Wow!!......

EA...... I've seen Ziggers Church...... It's pretty darn nice!!.... Terry

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-13 AT 09:58AM (MST)[p]

Here is a photo that my non-gunny editor would not publish. Heck, I thought it was COOL.

Here's the prettiest black bear I've ever seen or killed. Yep, he is just that color. When I saw him at long range, I forgot all about elk hunting ... it was a long and wonderful stalk and after a couple of hours, I finally killed him.

Eland. He died instantly when I placed a single 180-grain Hornady Interlocked in his spine. The .30-'06 is all the cartridge a guy needs for Afrikan plains game. Weight was 2,352 pounds.

I've killed bigger kudu, but this is about the prettiest one. Gorgeous bull.

May God Bless Your Day,

Steve

Hello Steve and Welcome to MM.

I am quite familiar with being 70 and being married for 50 years. That plus "she" can not only out shoot me, she can also out hear me.

New guy here too. Glad to see my old friend Steve here too.

I never tire of seeing all his great critter pictures

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom