New Gun

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I posted these questions on the guns, reloading, ect forum and mainly got responses from Kali guys, maybe because of the handle or maybe the Kali guys just are more helpful. So i decided to post them here. I'll make a short story long first and then get to the questions.

I ordered a Savage Weather Warrior with Accu-trigger and Accu-stock. I wanted it in 7mm WSM. The gun arrived and it was a 7mm Rem. Mag. Savage doesn't offer the gun in 7 WSM. BUT I'm not disappointed. I realize reloading I can get another 200 fps out of the Rem. Mag, but not a short action. And I want to shoot this long range, not a 1,000 yard gun but maybe a 500-600 yard gun.

I plan on putting a Ziess Conquest HD 3X15X42 scope on it, actually pretty light weight for the magnification.

So the questions:

I've always conditioned a barrel by cleaning and putting a very light coat of oil in the barrel. Then 2 shots, clean with brush, wet patch and dry patch. I repeat this for the first 20 rounds. Then I clean after every 20 rounds, or annually, whichever is sooner. I've read about other methods like a lapping compound to smooth the bore?? What have you done that worked??

Second question is a reloading question. I was looking at the Accubond 150 gr .284 LR bullets. I read a bunch of reviews and some said they had accuracy issues with this bullet. The bullet has a very high ballistic coeffiency, like .613 or some thing in that neighborhood. The standard Accubond, 160 gr .284 bullet costs 1/2 as much and is in the .530 neighborhood. Anybody have any experience with either bullet? Or even the 140 gr Accubond???

slayer, Might have worked out for the best in getting the 7MM Rem Mag. I have not owned a rifle in the cartridge nor have i ever owned a Savage rifle but Savage is known to have great repeatable accuracy and a fine trigger, two of the main things needed for the shots that you intend to possibly take.

My old neighbor the shootist, he moved to Chico, used to preach to me about breaking in new barrels. He was a big proponent of lapping the rifling with a light compound to smooth out the rifling, microscopic burrs he said that are present on most all new barrels. He practiced this to death on his new rifles, hundreds of strokes followed by much cleaning, claimed that they were then not only more accurate after doing so, i have seen those results, and that they were then also easier to clean...much easier. That's his claims though and i do believe him, i just don't have enough break in time on rifles myself to have formed a really strong opinion one way or the other.

As far as bullet selection, i too really like the Accubond products for a all around bullet. The LR's did't shoot well in my 270WSM, we tried and tried, probably not the bullets fault but our efforts at tight groups went for naught. I'd think that the 150 LR's in the 7MM Rem Mag would be a wonderful match...

In the Regular accubond i shoot 140's in my 280AI and 270WSM and they are killers, certainly plenty of what it takes for the distances you are talking. Nothing wrong with the 160's though, maybe the best bullet when Elk are in the picture or more Down range energy is expected. Regardless, hard to do better in a cartridge than the ol 7MM Rem Mag!

Good luck with your new shooter! Let us know how she goes!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I bought a new Browning X-Bolt in 7MM Remington - on purpose! Taking it to the smith to have a muzzle brake installed. I am looking for a 500+ rifle and think this will give me one. I have a range with gongs out to 800 yards for practice.

I've always done the shoot and clean for break in with good results. The last X-Bolt I bought does seem to foul easily. I may look into lapping compound for that rifle and the new 7MM.

I plan on shooting the 168 gr Berger VLD Hunting round. I've heard nothing but good about them. I just sighted in the wife's Stainless Stalker .270 with the 130 gr Berger VLD and it groups well. Hopefully she will let the air out of a mule deer this year with it so I can have some experience on game.

First of all, "Thank you for the replies!"

Advice, I'm going to try the lapping method, what do I have to lose?? Tomorrow night a Google search, then probably a purchase of the necessary products to do it right.

Your comments on the 150 gr Accubond LR bullet is similiar to those I read on a comments section on the product itself. I enjoy reloading some but my real purpose is get the best, most accurate, flattest shooting round I can for a particular rifle. I shot over 200 rounds through my .338 the first summer I got it, changing powders, bullets, etc. Eventually I had a load that would shoot sub-1" groups IF I did my part. Which with that caliber, in shirt sleeves, I couldn't always do. 2 years later I decided to change to Barnes X-Bullets so i went through the process again. Then they discontinued the flat base bullets and I did it all over again with the Barnes TXS'.

All that said, after what I've read, and what you said, I don't want to mess with the Accubond LRs. I'm going to look at the trajectory of the 140 gr Accubonds versus the 160 gr Accubonds. What ever shoots flatter @ 500 yards will be where I start. I'd actually prefer the 140s since I can tell the difference in recoil between bullets 20 grains heavier, I really can. But the sectional density of the 160s is significantly higher therefore I kind of know what I'm going to find out on the trajectory search.

And the elk comment made me stop and think. But with the .338 in the safe, I can't believe I would carry anything else for elk. But I'm still thinking about that.

Brush, I'm kind of skeptical of the Bergers. Maybe I've read BS but I've heard they are very accurate and have a high BC. But that they are fragile. Not something you want on a 3,200 fps round @ 40 yards. Am I mistaken on this assumption?

And I appreciate a Browning man. All of my center fire hunting rifles were Browning BEFORE this purchase. After working with my wife's Savage Weather Warrior, I had to have one. Her's is the best trigger I own, hands down. Which made me think that I've had this rifle for a week and haven't even dry fired it yet.

Again, hanks for the input, it's made me think.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-14 AT 09:53AM (MST)[p]IMR-4350 seems to work well for me with the lighter bullets.R-19 is along the same burn rate, and nosler lists it at a max of over 3300 fps with a 140 accubond. I have had good luck with Vihtavouri N560 also, if you can find it. I really like the 7 Mag, flat trajectory with not too much recoil. I shot 2 bucks with 140 accubonds last year, and they both were bang/flop.

The VLD Hunting bullet is designed to penetrate 3 inches before it starts to expand then shed 40-85% of its weight. I really like a bullet that loses all of its energy inside the animal. I've had great success with the Hornady SST out of the .270 but it may be too frangible for the 7MM. I should have an opportunity to test the Berger 7MM on a mule deer hunt this fall.

Again, thanks for the comments/input.

I load the Hornady 139s with the 7mm-08 and .280 but only for deer antelope. After some of the wife and sons kills, I wouldn't use them for anything heavier. And Joey got me to thinking about elk with this gun. I'm tired of having 2 loads for every gun. 7mm-08 SSTs for deer and antelope, 140 gr Barnes for elk, .280 Hornady SSTs for deer and antelope, 150 gr Barnes for elk, .338 200 gr Nosler B-tips for deer and 210 Barnes for elk.

I've convinced myself I'm going to concentrate on the Accubonds, 160s. If I can get them to shoot well, which should not be a problem, that's the bullet I plan on going with....at this point.

The IMR-4350 versus RL-19 comment is right on. In the 7mm-08 and .280, i use 4350 for one round and RL-19 for the other, in each caliber. I tested them side by side and chose the most accurate round for each gun, and bullet. I just can't remember without looking it up which is which. With the 160 gr bullet I think I'm going to start with RL-22 and go from there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom