New Gun Safe

C

cormanaz

I recently purchased a new gun safe (Yet to be delivered) and I want to know you're all's opinion on a dehumidifier. YES/NO, what Brand and Why? I currently have one of the steel cheap box safes and it seems to never have any moisture in it.. Went with some WAY Better and more secure. Thanks in advance for your information..Oh I live in Arizona..

A dehumidifier is a must in most places I'm not sure about Arizona. A good safe will seal an offer fire protection but you will get condensation inside the safe without a dehumidifier I use a Remington and plug it in every few months for 24 hours. Whenever the crystal turn to pink I plug it in until they are blue it keeps the humidity low and I've never had any rust problems.

you can get some desiccant packs and put them in there also. thats what i do. pretty cheap and easy way to keep moisture out.

"Shoot Straight"

Very smart having the safe delievered . Been there done that a few times , and I keep swearing I will never move another one and if there are stairs thats even 10 times worse .

I have a dehumidifer that I picked up from Cabelas . Its just a big can with some kind of crystals in it , and when they change color I have to put the can in the oven . Usually only have to do that once a year . Have not had any rust problems .

Look at the ones that Fort Knox sells, when they need to be recharged, you plug it into the wall for a few a hours.

For the marginal cost of a dehumidifier, its worth it. I live in Utah which is not quite as dry as you, but my unit pulls moisture out of my safe, and needs to be recharged every 5-6 months.
I know the moisture did a number on my muzzleloader years ago before the dehumidifier was in my safe.

I have had a save now for about ten years. The first 5-6 years I had the safe I did not have dehumidifiers where the past 4-5 years I have. I cannot honestly say I can tell the difference. But for the $20-30 bucks I spent on them they are well worth the investment if they have helped out.

I bought the once in little sardine looking cans from Cabelas. I need to throw them in the oven every 4-5 months to recharge them. The crystals turn pink when they need to be recharged.

400bull

It is unlikely you will need a dehumidifier in AZ, unless you are in some part of the state which is unusually wet (where would that be?), or over humidify your home with your AC.

I live in UT and have never needed a dehumidifier. I've run some tests with various media, but if it takes 4-6 months to turn the crytals pink in your kit, they aren't providing any useful function. There is only so much these systems can do, and in the ultra dry air of the desert SW they really can't dry the air any further. Now if you run a swamp cooler near your safe, or have the humidification setting real high on your AC unit, then it is cheap insurance.

bill

Bill

To keep humidity out of the safe another way (instead of crystal pouches and whatnot that you gotta put in the oven) is very simple. Keep the inside of the safe warmer then the outside temp, Therefor pushing all the humidity out of the safe! I installed a rope light around the back edges and under shelves in my safe and it acts as a light to see AND keeps the inside 10deg warmer then the outside. Two uses in one! I should go take a pic...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom