new elk hunts?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I used to have permission to hunt deer in the foothills behind San Antonio Res. On the way in by the Res., we always saw lots of Tule Elk, some very respectable crown topped bulls and quite a size-able herd. To my Knowledge, they had never been hunted.

I saw that there were some new Calif elk hunts offered and was wondering if one of those new hunts is centered or a part of that area. Hiway 84 Between Mission San Jose and Livermore. Right across the hiway from the old G.Elect. Nuclear power plant.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I know exactly where your talking about Joey but i don't think those are included in the new hunt.

I used to drive right by there when i was working construction and i would see them every once in a while.

Lots of Turkeys and some really nice Blacktails in that area also.

Hey Joey how long ago did you hunt there? I just got back this afternoon,we
hunt the old corbett ranch about 3 mi east of the resovoir

Bobcat, I was years and years ago. I believe it was after i worked armed Security at the Nuclear Power Plant, maybe in the early 80's.

My buddy leased a piece sounds like the same area, dead end of a road that wrapped around the backside. It was next to a piece the Mendoza's had. We only had a section to hunt but it held decent to good bucks. I also hunted the country behind that, Ridges above Del Valle, N-3 cattle Co, and some small pieces owned by family and other friends.

Problem was, you only get two tags and our own place on Morgan Territory Rd was pretty fair hunting itself. We mostly just hunted different places every evening and weekends on the chance that we'd turn up a really nice buck or we'd pass and call it a good hunt.

So, are there still a nice herd of elk centered around that Res, shores? We saw some that had 8 or more a side, with the crowns, old bulls, hardly hold their heads up.

I think that Res. country was SF Water Dist.Property. Pretty much a refuge but we had right of way to pass on thru.

Thanks for the response.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hey Joey your exactly right the ground all around the res is SF water,our
lease is just beyond Rocky Ridge and borders SF water,the Saco ranch,the
Sunol Wilderness which is known as Del Valle park and the Fletchers ranch.

The buck hunting has been real slow the last couple of years due to the lions,
and yes there is a bunch of elk that live all around the res.

Hank

Hank, small world! Not really my side of the Valley but i know where you guys, general area, are at. My Dads Brother was married to Danny Saco's, the old man, Sister. They leased a bit of cattle ground from us for a few years and i got to know them through fensing projects and such. Danny's grandpa was really a treat to be around, 95 years old, rode horseback everyday!

I also know the Fletchers fairly well. I took Rob hunting a couple times. Him or his Brother, Rich, sold me my first two recurve bows at their family sporting goods store called the Team Shop. Their Dad had a place up here on Lake Almanor and i still see them from time to time when they come to fish Butt lake with flies. I scored a bull Moose for Rich, his first.

I well remember del Valle being nothing more than a creek that was fun to swim in, catch minnows, or be driven along in the evening to see all the big bucks that used to hang out around there and the VA hospital. I do have a thirty pound Stripe Bass mounted that i caught in Del V. around 82'.

Don Ulieanna (sp) had a place up Rocky Ridge that i hunted a few times. Getting there took us through some neat country.I haven't hunted any of that country since 1987. Small world!

Joey

Hey Joey you have a great memory as Don Ulama has the easement right going
up the hill to our lease.Our right of way is right behind Zone 7 water treatment plant
off of vineyard rd.and through about 8-9 gates. Its a great drive through those
hills as we almost always see yotes elk bobcat and deer going up to our lease.

If you're even planning to drive through Livermore sometime I would't mine taking
you for ride to look around up there.

Hank

Hank, I would love to take a ride someday.

Thanks for the offer. I still have some family and good hunting Pards that live in or near Livermore, couple great dudes that you probably know or at least heard of, so i do get down there from time to time but don't see going for awhile anyway. Thanks again and thanks for the info!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom