new barrel for 7mm

J

jm (Guest)

I have a win 7mm Rem mag ss with a boss. Want to get rid of that noisy boss system. Any recommendations on what barrel to replace it?

replaced mine with a Shelan a few years ago...sweet. I wouldn't own a Boss system or ported system either, waaay too noisy and i can't hear as it is. Besides a person never feels the recoil when shooting at game anyway, IMO.

You can get a new barrel from Brownells,They have a web site, they carry both Shilen and Douglas barrels and you can get one already profiled to fit your stock. they will be short chambered and will require fitting by a gunsmith or person that knows how to headspace and finish chamber. You can order the barrel and have a gunsmith fit it and possibly save a few dollars over the cost of the barrel. I have used the Shilen barrels on aprox. 12 rifles, most mags, and all of them shot 3 rds under a inch at 100 yards with Federal supreme ammo.
RELH

I replaced the barrel on my 7mm Weatherby magnum with a 24 inch "Gain Twist" barrel......

Talk about a hot barrel!!! My first three shots ever out of the barrel and all the others since have all been touching when sighting in my gun. No ands or butts about the accuracy the barrel gave my gun.

It shoots better than the original barrel did when brand new.

Thanks for your ideas. Anyone have any experience necking down a 7 mm rem mag to say 6 mm ?

Nope, but I have a friend who has a .257 STW (7mm STW necked down). It is a screamer and makes a nice red mist of rock chucks and praire dogs.

This might be a stupid question but why dont you just take off the Boss system and get a sleve to cover the threads? Just a thought. Jovan

Hey GN, that's not a bad idea ! Think I'll try it and see how it shoots. That will lighten it up some too.
Thanks!

Anyone want to buy a boss muzzle break cheap? LOL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom