New Antelope Rifle

G

Garion33

Hello all. I have a T/C Encore that I have only used for MLing. Since I drew an Antelope tag for NM, this gives me a good excuse to buy a new barrel for it. I'm not firm on what to buy, just looking for a good, accurate Antelope cartridge. At the moment, I am considering the .243, 25-06, .280, or maybe something a bit smaller. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Garion

I don't know what calibers you can get Encore barrels for, but of the three you listed, I would go with the 25-06. You can't get a flat enough shooting rifle when it comes to antelope. Whatever you choose, practice out to 425 or 450, then those 350 to 400 yard shots won't seem so tough. And good luck on your hunt!

Garion,
I have used my .270 to kill all of my antelope (11 and counting). It will reach out to 400 yards if needed. I use 130 or 150 grain depending on whats available. Never been disappointed. Plus it is a fairly cheap gun to shoot. Hope this helps.

Good Hunting!!

thatcherwyo1

I'd have to say any of the .24 or .25 calibers would be plenty of gun for a speedgoat. They're not that big and don't require a lot of bullet. 25-06, great choice.
I just bought an old .250-3000 Savage I'm itching to test drive on something like that, as soon as I work up a decent load.

I shoot a .257 wby mag and agree with the others, a .243 or .25 caliber is great for goats......... Sure wish I had that Savage Studpile just got, that is a great round for Jack O'Connor nostalgics like me........... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Here is the goat I shot last year with an Encore w/a 25-06 barrel. Took him at about 150 yards and after the shot, he crow hopped for about 10 feet and then fell over stone dead. Good luck with the new goat barrel. Smoke a big one this year with it. They sure make good goat guns....

goatwithgun.jpg

---Scottyboy---

Thanks.. I took him in Hartley county in the TX panhandle. The closest towns were the small towns of Channing, and Nara Visa, NM. The ranch was close to the state line.
This year though, we'll be out in Hudspeth county,TX which is just south of that hunt you drew on the McGregor Range. There are gaggers everywhere in that country. You should get a nice one on that hunt.
Gross 82"
Net 81"

---Scottyboy---

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom