Never too early to ask - turkey hunting?

K

kcnboise

Hi all,

Does anybody have suggestions on where to turkey hunt this spring? I've been going within an hour or so of Boise, and am tired of all the camoflauged "turkeys" running around in the woods...

I'm looking for either hard to get to public places with decent numbers of birds, or private places with no, or low, trespass fees.

If not comfortable with posting please PM me.

Thanks in advance!

Boy, I'd like to know where the heck to go as well. The only wild turkey's I've seen around here were in the front yard of a house near Montour, and then some up at Thorne Creek Butte - which I would imagine is still snow bound when the Spring hunt rolls around.

I've always wanted to hunt turkey, so if you're looking for a partner (or two as my boy will want to go), I'm game. :)

try the mud creek areas unit 23 just outside of new meadows. we used to see a couple hundred in the fall until kids in a car pulled out automatic 22 machine gun things and completely destroyed the flock. the years after that were far and few between with them and from what i saw this past fall the flock has pretty much completely recovered. some good toms to but im not to fond of wild turkey myself. i have never seen a hunter specifically looking for turkey there mostly guys just by a tag just in case they see one and usually they get one. not sure about spring if they migrate in for the hunt or how that all works but there are a few coyoteS if that matters. hope this helps and good luck! let me know if you want more info for the area

The biggest tom I've seen was on the side of the road between Montour and Horseshoe Bend. Thought about rolling down the window and doing a drive by for a second...

Might need a new hunting partner in about a year, as the guy I normally hunt with is thinking about moving out of state. Kids are always welcome; I think I get more of a kick out of seeing them get something than me getting something.

Thanks for the info huntfish714. I thought about trying up near New Meadows, but haven't made it up there yet. I hope they caught the kids. Sure, more info would be welcome.

Its been a few years, but we would get a tag in Oregon and hop over there for a few days. Just out of Half way. We got our biggest tom's over there.

I went over there for a couple years. A friend of mine from Ontario gets his bird there every year. Have you seen what they've done to the out of state license and tag prices in Oregon? I won't be hunting there again soon...

Yah, KCN, I agree - more fun to watch him try and get something. He hasn't had much luck, except for ground squirrels... gets too darned excited and jerks the trigger, or doesn't lead a bird (or leads and then stops to shoot... sigh). I'm hoping Santa will bring us a clay thrower this year, lol.

Huntfish714 - thanks for the tip. I was thinking we'd try to hunt like you see on Outdoor channel - find a roosting area and try to call them in... but all those hunts seem to be down in the South or midwest, so maybe the birds are smarter here and that wouldn't work?
Years ago, I had a friend who spotted a bunch of gobblers up Cottonwood Creek before the season opened... he decided to try his luck, but it seems the turkeys, like the deer, have calendars that tell them when hunting season starts.

If you care to PM me with more info, that would be great. Or you can email me at [email protected]

Thanks, Mark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom