Nevada 061 071 early Muzz. ELK Tag

H

hornhunter19

I was fortunate enough after 15 years to finally draw my Nevada Elk tag. It is the early (Sept.17th) hunt in 061/071. I have never been to either unit but have a scouting trip planned for the end of July. I would appreciate any help anyone has to offer in reguards to these units. Thanks.

I had the late rifle tag last year. Fun country to hunt, perfect for glassing. My hunt was warm the first of the hunt and pretty hard. I did see a couple of good bulls scouting in late August. One was a pretty 6x7. When is your hunt?? And where do you plan to hunt? There was a big fire out there last summer.But there is plenty of country to hunt. Send me a PM if you like.

My dad also drew one of these tags .I hope there are a few elk there since it has taken some time to draw .

My advice is this if you call in a 5pt at 12 yards like my dad did opening day you better shoot it , because they tend to disappear after the first 3 or 4 days . We saw quite a few bulls , mostly rag horns , 2 nice 6pt bulls maybe 320-340 class , but most were spikes 3-4pts . And the one nice 5pt we should have taken my dad regrets .
Strange thing we saw maybe a dozen cows and about 25 bulls and the dozen cows were in one group . I can tell you where to find some bulls and some will be decent . Basically we said 6pt or nothing and we got nothing .If you have some horses there is a place you can ride into where all the elk went after the first couple of days , to pack one out would be tough . you need a horse for the area since there are no roads . Send me you regular email .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom