Need some tips for Turkey!!! :)

B

bbentley392t

Next month I'll be bowhunting Turkey's for the very first time here in Utah, and I'm in need of some opinions from my fellow forum members...I know there's gotta be at least a few guys here on MM with impressive Turkey harvest numbers, and I'd really appreciate any advice you'd be willing to offer. Like I said, this is my 1st go-round with thunder chickens and I've got a very basic idea of what I need to do but need some help going about doing it. I already have a blind, but I need some input on which decoys & calls that I should look into? Also, I'm wondering if my broadheads are sufficient enough to get the job done...I shoot 100 grain Slick-Trick standard heads. And over the past couple years I've watched them work wonders on fuzzy mule deer here in Utah, but it seems like every YouTube Turkey hunt video I see...the shooters are using either a conventional mechanical, or Guillotine's & Bullhead's. How early do I need to setup my blind & decoys, what is a good time to be in the blind before the birds come down to water, etc? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!!! :)

Just about any Decoys will work!

But remember,just cuzz they have a little eye,it's a Damn good eye!

So I'd use Decent/Quality Decoys!

I'd set the Blind up a week or two early,they see something Brand New & out of Place first thing Opening Morning they might think something's up!

I wouldn't set the Dekes out till opening morning where you'll be trying to Call them in towards you!

Go at least an Hour Early,get your Decoys set up(Before the Birds Wake up!)and wait it out till the Time is Right!

They won't leave the Roost until they can see a little!(Unless Spooked!)

And Remember!

Not much different than Elk Hunting!

Call them to you!

It can be Easy at times!

It can also be one of the Most Challenging Hunts for an old Wiley Tom you'll ever endure!

Good Luck!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I agree with everything elkassassin said. To add to what he said, I now only use one hen decoy. I put her about 12 yards in front of my blind facing towards me. The toms will come in and show off In front of her, giving you a perfect backside shot.

I use a slate and one reed mouth call.

Last but not least. If you're worried about your arrow going through the turkey, turn your bow poundage down. Works slick.

If you already know where they are roosting, then your only challenge is to get them to come down in your direction. With that in mind getting into your blind without being detected is key and then getting the Toms interested in your decoy is the other challenge. I'd be careful not to scare them with too much calling at first light.
I have never killed one with a bow, so that's all the advice I have, but I will say duping a wise old Tom is pretty exciting stuff!

Good advice so far, especially on roosting the birds. I hunt them in the midwest so it may be a little different for you but I like to scout from a distance with binocs and observe where the turkeys like to go after they fly down in the mornings. It is much easier to call a gobbler in to where he wants to go any way.

It can be very difficult to call gobblers away from hens at times but sometimes you can get a hen or two interested in your calls and decoys. If the hens start drifting your way the gobbler will follow.

I have had very good luck killing birds mid morning when many of the hens have gone off to nest and the gobblers are alone. They can be much easier to call in during that time. If you find two or more gobblers together with no hens many times they can be called in. All it takes is for one of them to start coming to your calls and the other ones will many times start coming also, many times ending up will all of them trotting towards you so as not to be left out of the action.

As far as calling, there is no magic formula but if I have a turkey gobbling and moving my direction I cut back on the frequency of my calls as the bird most likely already knows your exact location and over calling may discourage the bird from coming into range as he may stop and strut back and forth. There are lots of good DVD's and youtube videos out there, take advantage of those to learn calling. For just starting out a box call or push button call will do all you need to do to call in birds. Mouth calls are very versatile but can be hard to learn for some people.

As far as using a bow, if you are using shoot through mesh on your blind you will want to use a fixed blade head but otherwise I would recommend an expandable. Not neccessarily a huge one but three blades are better than two. Be sure to get to know the anatomy of a turkey so you can place your shot in the vitals. The best shot opportunity is when the bird is facing away from you, that way you have the whole spine as a target. Be ready to get out of the blind and chase down the turkey. I've had a few of them hit the dirt at impact but I've also had a few take off running or even flying. They leave very little blood trail so it is best to not let them run off.

Best of luck this spring!
Sam

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

Bring plenty of beer as sometime they can work in awful slow. Just makes the wait easier. :)

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom