Need Help For Thousand Lakes Muzzle Loader Hunt

quest

Very Active Member
I have a nephew that needs info for a place to start for this Muzzle loader hunt/Trailhead. What should he expect for a hunt like this/Forkies, 3pt or 4pts? Any info would be much appreciated and most helpful in giving him a great experience. Not looking for honey holes just honest help! Thanks,

quest

With the added tags and scouting it's a crap shoot. I'd focus on the southern end of the unit. Anything 18" or better I'd take the shot

If i had the tag i wouldnt shoot anything less than 22" 160 type buck. there are some toads on the unit (not like the henrys) but some respectable bucks i know of 2 bucks over 210 on the unit but ive got some buddies hunting them on the archery. if he hunts hard and far from roads he should be ok here is a pic of a buck i killed. he is a 1000 lakes deer that crossed the road onto the general side

1327287519-picsay.jpg

www.hightopoutfitters.com

Well,
With 400 permits on Thousand Lakes this year,
And 167 of those being dedicated hunters (getting all 3 hunts)

It will be VERY crowded to say the least ..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Sure--rub it in big6! ha

Seeing as I didn't draw 25B/muzzy with 9 Gen deer pts!

That is a dandy ya got right there Mr.

Robb

PS.--yeh I am still sniveling about not drawing.

Bucks like that used to be more common on Thousand lakes ..

From 2001 to 2005. I spent a ton of time on TLs during
the winter. I think it was 03/04 I saw the most nice bucks.

When I drew the archery tag there in 06, I missed a buck
very similar to the one big6 posted up ...

I spent some time on there in 09/10 during the winter,
only saw half the number of bucks I was seeing in those
previous years ...

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

This buck summered on the Thousand Lake and moved off from pressure on the archery hunt. This was 2010. There are a few monsters and a few decent bucks left on the unit.

35882010_buck.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-12 AT 02:59PM (MST)[p]From all of those thousand hunters I was think they may do they same thing and push them on to the fish lake side ;-)
There maybe less hunters on the fish lake side this year with the new system ? :)
Nice buck ! I guess you got him off a open unit ?

Yes I shot him on the open unit. A couple friends had chased a small bachelor group during the archery hunt. Toward the end of the hunt they said the group had moved of the LE and onto the general unit. Talked to a couple elk hunters that had seen them in the area and we were able to locate them on the evening before the rifle opener. Actually shot two of the other bucks opening morning they where both 20" bucks. Came back in that evening and caught this buck on the edge of the pines right at dark. Kind of a lucky deal all the way around.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom