Need a "rookie" lab. In the market for a pup

hossblur

Long Time Member
I know this isn't the duck hunting forum, but you guys are wildlife guys so I am hoping to find some info. Had to put down my 14yr old chocolate, I still have my 8 yr old black, but I am in the market for a new rookie, I really want a yellow female. I am looking for a good bloodlined HUNTING DOG, not a show dog. Do you guys know of any breeders that you would recommend, hopefully in utah or s. idaho, w. wyoming? thanks

"Your just jealous because _____, so you can't know anything!!"

I have a 1/2 choc 1/2 silver lab out of Idaho. Its parents were shed hunting dogs and pure breds. I LOVE MY DOG. He is 3 yrs old. Great swimmer, Amazing nose and VERY VERY smart. He is not of the pointing line of labs, but this last week I took him to a pheasnat club, and he actually strted pointing. Then would move slowly to the birds, then I would tell him to get them, then he would pounce on them. It was great. It made it so we could get ready for the birds to fly. There were 3 times he caught the birds before they could fly, and they were all good strong birds and all of them were hard flyers. So it made me happy. I have it all on video, and am waiting to have time to put it on line.

I have the guys # out of Idaho, but he has since changed his #. So I cant help with that. Good luck with the new dog. Its alot of fun working with a dog.

Here is a few pics of my dog. Sorry, love him and thought I would give him some credit.
2012-11-03_09-54-59_447.jpg

This year pheasant hunt.
1323961099.jpg

Last year duck hunt.
1321022820.jpg

Last year pheasant hunt.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

I have seen there are some sivler pups for sale up in idaho at a couple of different places on KSL, must be a little community of silvers up there? Good looking hound!

"Your just jealous because _____, so you can't know anything!!"

What you looking to spend? Brothers yellow lab just had pups. She was breed out of evanston I believe. Not sure the bloodlines and that off the top of my head.

I don't have a litter right know but if you want a great hunting/family dog and need one soon I would call Ted Barker in Sandy, Ut.If you want his # send me a PM

I have a 7 month old pup out of Idaho that is an AMAZING hunter! Tons of energy and she had her first water retrieve at just 4 months old bringing a dove back from about 30yds out in a big pond! She's intense and hunts, hunts, hunts for anything you throw on land or water until she finds it. She charges and retrieves like a machine already and has done so since we got her at just 8 weeks! She is also very obedient and learned basic commands in just a couple days of working with her.

After looking around at various breeders for a couple of months I decided to go with Snake River Retrievers there in Idaho. There website is http://www.snakeriverretrievers.com/index.html

Before making my decision I talked with many of their very satisfied customers who had pups from previous litters. Each one of them felt they owned the best dog ever!

Good luck and sorry to hear you lost your old dog. It's too bad they can't live longer...

NvrEnuf

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-12 AT 02:33PM (MST)[p]+1 on pups from snake river retrievers. I have a 2 year old black lab from there that I don't have one complaint about. I have experienced the same as NvrEnuf, drive that never stops and never backs away from a challenge. I hunt both upland and waterfowl with her and never wished I had a different dog. One thing that I have loved is how easy she has been to train to stay in range while we're upland hunting. She hunts close but understands to work side to side. But the best thing I like out of all her traits is her manners around my kids, I have a 6, 4 and 1 yr olds. she loves my 1 yr old, she never knocks him down and will always just lay by him so hen can crawl all over him and seems to love every second of it. Hope this helps some.

Keep an eye on the classifieds on ksl.com. I got mine from there a couple of years ago and she is an excellent hunting dog.

37342008_294.jpg

The one on the left with the stick.
43722004-2012_320.jpg

I know of 4 labs that came from Diamond R Kennels, near Belgrade, MT (west of Bozeman). All were excellent bird dogs. My lab is nearly 7 & may be looking for another one myself.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom