Need a law

H

Hunter (Guest)

Before you read this keep in mind I've experienced harrassment taking place on our mule/elk/whitetail deer herds especially in the desert country of limited entry units in both Utah and Arizona. Believe me it's a highly unethical practice of taking a number of trophy animals out of the herds. Limits do need to be set in order to preserve our resource for years to come. On another forum the suggestion was made to set these limitations on limited entry trophy hunting units only. I'm looking for your thoughts as hunters and other ideas to solve problems of technological advances. Think about this, What's next a heat seeking locator? What's your definition of a trophy buck? Please read and enjoy.

Where are all the big bucks? The fish and game departments will blame it on the drought, predators, or other excuses and leave out the truth. Years ago, I can remember archery hunting with my Dad and little brother looking across a big canyon and seeing anywhere from 10 to 15 mature bucks, all sporting huge racks. We would hike all day just to get into the area to hunt them. We never harvested any of those bucks, but every year we had great stories to tell about the one?s that got away. Now in the same area there are 4-wheeler trails all over and the bucks are gone. Yesterdays hunter had to hike or use horse to get into these areas to find the trophy class bucks. Today these areas are overrun by 4-wheelers and now chute planes. A chute plane is an aircraft that holds 1 to 2 passengers and is able to hover at slow speeds. It uses a parachute for wings, a light-duty engine for power, and is also referred to as an ultralite. They are becoming more and more popular especially among the guides. The bucks are running out of places to hide and the truth of the matter is they can't hide anymore.
The idea of a trophy buck has also changed over the years. A trophy of yesterday is one that was worked for personally with many hours of preseason scouting and then getting lucky enough during the hunt to harvest the trophy class animal. Today the trophy is still one that is worked for, however, there are those that think paying thousands of dollars for a tag and guide for one is still a trophy. Magazines have pictures of huge bucks and stories behind them but they are leaving out the gruesome details. Most of these bucks were purchased with the almighty dollar. Greed is slowly destroying our deer herds.
The fish and game departments of many different states have closed areas down and have made them limited entry units. These areas are supposed to create better opportunities for hunters to harvest mature trophy class animals. But these areas are creating moneymaking opportunities for the guides, landowners, and even the fish and game (Governor Tags). These landowner, conservation, and governor tags are being sold to the rich for prices ranging from four to one hundred thousand dollars! The rich are able to hunt these units every year at the prime times and the rest of us are being left out. The average hunter is lucky to hunt these areas once every ten years and is lucky to find a trophy class animal that hasn't already been pinpointed by guides, landowners, or someone else trying to make a quick buck. With all this money pressure out there to find and locate these big bucks, guides are utilizing every resource they can get their hands on to aid in the process. This is where the chute plane comes into play as a major contributor to eliminating the big bucks.
The desert country of Southern Utah and Northern Arizona has in the past been a trophy mule deer Mecca. The huge country once offered plenty of hiding ground for mule deer to grow huge antlers and escape the average hunter. Chute planes are able to hover just barely over the treetops at slow speeds and there is nothing that can't be found. It is impossible for the deer to hide from them. Currently, these planes can be used until 48 hours before the hunt opens. With a plane and a good GPS these deer don't have a chance. These big bucks are harassed all year long and it's only a matter of time before a good area is wiped out. Affected by this activity is the famed Paunsagunt in Southern Utah, an area that is known for big bucks is now struggling. What once was, is now gone. Every year this unit has produced big bucks and it still does, but today there are very few that get that opportunity. This year 2003 out of 127 public rifle tags there was one buck known of taken that was 30-inches plus. The magazines and books that come out will claim different and show pictures of big bucks taken, but what they don't tell is that the hunter paid big money to harvest it and chute planes were used to locate it. Another area that is known for big bucks is the remote area of the Arizona Strip in Northern Arizona. It is an area that still holds big bucks and guides have moved into the area in the last few years because the other areas have been cleaned out. The strip is in trouble because it will not be able to sustain that kind of pressure. It is similar to the Henry Mountains of Southern Utah where there are very few deer; it took only two years to clean that area out.
There is nothing wrong with guides trying to make an honest living or landowners that need to be compensated for their losses, but things have gotten way out of hand. There needs to be limits set or big bucks will be a thing of the past. The bottom line is that where these big bucks used to hide they can't hide anymore. Just like 4-wheelers, chute planes are becoming more and more popular. What if every hunter that had a 4-wheeler also had a chute plane? If this happens think about this, ?In the beginning God created everything including big bucks, then he created man and they bought chute planes, in the end there was nothing!? We can choose to do one of three things. One, sit back and do nothing or let these wildlife organizations suck our money and do nothing. Two, buy us a chute plane and join them in the task of killing everything. Three, organize as a group the largest ever and petition our legislators, local RAC members, and wildlife board members to change the laws in order to save our valuable resource.
Therefore, we must restrict the operation of chute planes or any other aircraft that hovers at any time of the year that are used to locate or harass any big game animal. Currently the law restricts the use only during the hunt and 48 hours before the hunt opens. By restricting use during any time of the year, everyone would be on a more equal playing field and hard work along with traditional ground methods would be used to locate. The animals could then hide creating the opportunities that we once had. Another thing we can do at a more personal level is not support these activities by purchasing their products. Names will not be mentioned but a lot of them are involved with creating videotapes, books, and magazines. It is tempting to have a look but think about what they are doing. There are plenty of products out there that are good and support the ethical hunter. They might not be as extravagant or loaded with huge racks, but you can have a clear conscience when purchasing them. We?re not after your money; all we're after is your support in order to change what is happening. We need the support of every ethical hunter out there both young and old. All we need is a statement that reads like this, ?I am in full support of amending the law to make it unlawful for any person to use chute planes or any other aircraft that hovers at any time of the year, in order to locate, observe, or harass any big game animal or protected wildlife? along with your name and full address. If every ethical hunter out there would support this we would have the means to get it passed. Please make your voice heard using the contact information below:

Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (www.wildlife.utah.gov)
Regional Advisory Councils-Chairs

Ernie Perkins, Northern Region
[email protected]
3087 Maxine Drive
Layton, UT 84040-7659
801-544-5123
801-479-4010 facsimile

Clay Hamann, Northeastern Region
[email protected]
1673 N 3500 W
Vernal, UT 84078-9736

Ed Kent, Central Region
[email protected]
611 East Taylor Lane
Murray, UT 84107

##### Manus, Southeastern Region
[email protected]
1384 W 300 N
Price, UT 84501

Gregg McGregor, Southern Region
[email protected]
1683 Snow Canyon Dr.
Santa Clara, UT 84765

Utah Legislator Contact Information

http://se15.utahsenate.org/perl/spage/roster2003.pl
http://www.le.state.ut.us/house/members2003/membertablel.asp

Arizona Game and Fish Department

Main Office-Phoenix
2221 W Greenway Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85023-4399
602-942-3000
[email protected]

Arizona Legislator Contact Information

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/members/senate.htm

30in,

Wasnt having this posted in the mule deer forum and getting close to 200 replies enough? Whats the deal, beat a dead horse or what?

Mike
at235.gif

So are you saying that this is not going on or what?

yes/no - the use of 4-wheelers/ultralites (have/have not} helped access to areas to find and the harvesting of said big rack animals?

I for one have seen my hunting area look like a race track from all of the 4-wheelers running ruts into the land and erosion it has caused-

if you are going to hunt -[ the word is hunt not drive to local area and drive back with the kill ] then HUNT!!!!!!!

law= no motorized vechicles- with exception to handicapped hunters then with limits

No, I am not saying that this is or is not going on, what I am saying is that by plastering it on every board here YOUR point loses validity.

Mike
at235.gif

Yeah, enough on this stupid subject.........it's been beat and stomped on already, OK? Dang, give it up already and go bird hunting or something.........

I guess your rigdt to an extent, I personally went on a 13B hunt a couple years ago we were there a couple days before and every weekend before that, I personally never saw a chute plane and the only quads I saw on the hunt were on the roads. I thought it was the best hunt ever and we saw quite a few trophies and harvested a good one.I have a friend that is a guide that does take the govenor tag buyer out most of the time, your right he uses a chute plane and is very succesful.I dont believe that his tactics affect the quality of hunting in these areas due to great game management and low tag allowments.I really cant see anything wrong with what the guy does.He is so dedicated to trophy hunting that he was willing to spend the money and obtain the resources to be more succesful than the average guy.Is this wrong? I dont know, i know I wish I could do what he does but unfourtantley I just dont have the funds.I do agree with the quad problem,I know shed hunters are the worst for this problem and I do believe if they get caught by the forest service they'll wish they would of just been hiking like the rest of us poor slobs.I guess my point is if you dont like these problems do like I do and only put in for the limited draw units, I'll be the first to say the other hunts just plain suck.As for the govenors tag any extra money the game and fish can get to help our wildlife ie; water sheds etc.,whats wrong with that?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-03 AT 06:33PM (MST)[p] Who here,if by some incredible stroke of luck,(Lottery win, Inheritence,or as some have gotten rich,by working their ASS off!...etc.) That gave us near unlimited funds wouldn't buy those high dollar tags? are those a supreme set of morals or just regular ole hypocracy and class envy?....
I think I know which it is!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom