NE Oregon Spring Bear

O

orcat14

I posted this in the bears, lions, etc. forum too but I thought I'd post in the local thread too. thanks.

hey all-
my party of three drew our first ever spring bear tags in northeast oregon this year. sled springs-chesnim tag. we've hunted elk over in that country for years, but this is our first ever spring trip. just looking for some advice on how to hunt these buggers. we understand it's a spot and stalk game in the canyons, but just looking to expand the knowledge base. our trip is planned for may 5-10, only time that works into all our schedules so hopefully the weather cooperates. my questions are time of day? south-facing slopes? creek bottoms? any specific types of forage/cover to look for? we're not rookies in the woods, just to the spring bear thing. thanks in advance for any help!

early mornings at first light get to where you can glass, glass and glass till you find em! I'm meaning BIG OPEN CANYONS. Once you find em...go get em! Also carry a cow elk call to squeel on to call em in. We have done this before and it will work, sometimes.

And heck if you want to really bring em in...BAIT EM! Not that its illegal or anything :)

Good luck...PM me if you want info on where to go

muleyman

As muley said, glass and glass some more. Spring bear hunting is an all day affair, spend ALL day glassing. Depending on pressure, bears are lazy and are out all day, if its not HOT. If its hot out, hunt them at first light, and at dusk. If you see a bear wandering, DONT go after him if he is very far away.

Sometimes, you will glass an opening for a cpl hours, then all of a sudden a bear pops out from behind a pine tree. Bears that are wandering, are usually long gone by the time you get over to them.

Rocky areas and bright green ares are great areas. Wild Onions are almost as good as baiting.

Good luck and share pics!

Back
Top Bottom