NCAA Wrestling Championships

Roy

Well I know the b-ball tourney is getting all the play, but is anybody paying attention to the Wrestling Championships? Looks like Penn State has a chance to take it - they are in the lead right now. There are some great individual match ups. The Robles kid from Az. State is incredible but I don't understand how he got the #1 seed. McDonough looked great against Precin in the Big 10 Finals. They should meet again in the Semi's tonight.

I am watching the Quarterfinals right now - a lot more entertaining to me than basketball!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-11 AT 01:22PM (MST)[p]I should be. There is a local guy from the next town over that is wrestling for OK state think he is seeded second. I am going to have to watch for it on Tv.

I have 3 of my coaches up there now cheering Anthony Robles on. If you have seen him wrestle it is quite a treat. I am amazed at how fast he is missing that other leg. Myself and a lot of our wrestling kids have spent a lot of time with him and we really wish him well for his last year in this tournament. I'll be watching as much of it as I can. My head coach will probably get some incredible photos too. Wish I could be with them.

GBA

Robles is a wrestler who should of be ranked #1 he earned it by the way he wrestled all year, he should win his weight class. I didn't see you had already posted it Roy. Some great matches are going on in the Q-Finals.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

It's good to have two seperate threads on this Gator! Needs more attention.

I haven't been able to see the semi's as they are set to record on the playback overnight. I did take a peek at the brackets though. Here is the link:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/2011-03-14/di-wrestling-championships-central

Looks like Penn St. has 3 in the Finals and 2 in the consolation brackets still wresling and almost a 20 pt lead. I haven't done the math but it looks like they probably have it locked up. If they get 3 champs for sure they do. Iowa and Cornell are knocking on the door though.

Robles is wrestling McDonough, the returning champ at 125 in the Finals. Should be a great match. Robles got the #1 seed because he is undefeated and has looked very impressive doing it. McDonough is about the only other guy who matches up to him in the upper body so it should be a great match. Robles is so unorthodox it makes him tough to attack and he is just slick as a whistle with everything else he does - lightning fast.

Howe got beat in the semi's at 165 - shocker! Should be him and Borroughs in the finals. Borroughs would beat him though. He is just polished.

The Kjar kid is from Utah Valley University (formerly Utah Valley State College) not Utah State. They are the only school in Utah with a wrestling program.

UTROY

We had a kid wrestle that Kjar kid a few year back or his brother at senior nationals, He was pretty tough, glad to see that he has taken it to another level.

I hope nobody is surprised to see Penn State at the top. Pretty hard to beat the Sanderson brothers when they are coaching.

It's always an adventure!!!

The only suprrise is that it only took two years, they will be back too. They have a great young team. Had 4 in the finals - should have had 5 and could have had 6 - they are all coming back too, plus they recruited well and can certainly coach them up. Next year is going to be great to watch. With my At&T U-Verse I have the Big 10 network which shows a lot of Big 10 wrestling - going to be great! Besides Penn St., Iowa will be tough, Wisconsin has the best recruiting class, Minnesota will be strong, and you can't count out Ohio State, Northwestern or Purdue - definitely fun to watch.

UTROY

Roy/Gator, here are a couple of pictures for ya.

Anthony Robles NCAA Champ and he wins Outstanding Wrestler Award
2280anthony_robles.jpg

ASU Coach Shawn Charles center with two of my high school coaches Eric Toraya Left and head coach Michael Garcia right.
3211coaches.jpg

GBA

That's pretty awesome! Robles handled his business against McDonough! Whenenver you beat a former champ like that you have proven yourself for darn sure. That tilt he hits is just slick, he nails you with it because you don't expect him to take you that direction and he his as strong as a horse! Bench presses 305 - for a 125lber that is STOUT!

ASU fared well with 2 champs. They always have a tough program and some great wrestlers.

UTROY

Would he be offically...."the one legged man at an azz kickin' contest"?.........awesome!

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Penn is just going to get better and better. They picked up a solid Ca kid this year too.

Penn does appear to be good for some time.

Still had to be a hard pill to swallow for Sanderson with the Jenkins vs taylor match!!

The guy from just up the road lost a heart breaker as well at 197 (Foster).. I haven't felt that bad since watching my brother loose a state title.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom