National Finals?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Our whole family is very proud of the accomplishments of Russell Cardoza and his Team Roping partner Colby Lovell in making it back to the National Finals again this year. This is 3 out of the last 4 years that 24 year old Russell has made the Finals. He also this year, finished 4th in the All-Around Cowboy standings.

Russell's Dad and i were raised as Brothers on the Cardoza Ranch though he was my Dad's way younger brother, my Uncle. Young Russell was raised on a horse and competitively roping since he was 8 years old. Lots of our family will be in Vegas this week pulling for Young Russel and his Pard. Hope you guys do too, he's a good kid!

7895russell_cardoza_roping.jpg

1088russell_cardoza_all-around_winner.jpg

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Good luck to Russell, that would be fun to watch!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

much good luck.,,,,,,,,,,, we are going to go watch one of these days have wanted to for years just haven't done it

Thanks Guys!! Here's a couple more...

830russell_cardoza_steer_wr.jpg

4453russell-cardoza-5-4-steer-wrestling-pic-1.jpg

...and he was part of this TV series that was on a Fox sports channel this past spring and early summer. He married a great gal and into a well known Rodeo family up in Terrebonne Or.

6247russell_stompin_ground.jpg

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

CF, way cool! Can't say that that looks much like fun to me but good on you for givin it a good go. Congrats!

I tried my hand at ropin some but was no special hand at it. Besides, me and horses never did get along much.

Those that make the Finals are the best of the best. I take my hat off to all of them. I'll be home and watching it on TV, i hope, but I'm looking forward to a good show this year.

Joey

I will be going Thursday and Friday and then just hanging out drinking beer the rest of the weekend . If any body needs tickets for Sunday shoot me a message since I have four I need to get rid of. Ill drink a beer for ya Sage and cheer on your kin.

The calf roping picture is at hermiston my hometown. His father in law was pretty handy in his day also.

Good Luck to Russell. I have enjoyed watching him and others.
I hope he gets on a roll!!!!!!
We all know Vegas is a good place to get hot! Especially the Thomas and Mack!!!

Cool pics guys...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I see where Round 1 of 10 will be shown on TV this evening at 7:00 on GAC(Great American Country)

Here, it is ch 165 on Dish. That 7Pm start would be Pacific Time.

Joey

Kinda looked like Russell missed his dalleys...or they slipped?

They still did 6.5 seconds and half the guys missed all together. No money tonight but good shape going forward.

Joey

"I watched them in person.....hard night for team roping."

Yeah, i guess!! I never seen so many miss in the first round. I could see it later on when guys are out of the average and going for day money but missing on the first round, tough to come back with that sitting on you.

Joey

The team got out quick and Russell picked up both feet again for the fastest time in the round at 4.0 seconds. That's smoken fast but then the news came in that the header had broke the barrier, Double gosh darn,.. plus 10 seconds!

They are sitting sixth in the average with no round money won yet. Could be worse but breaking the barrier cost each roper $18,257. just in this round!

Not the way these guys wanted to get started.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are. and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hopefully they can put it behind them and have another quick run. If they are laying down 4 second runs it is just a matter of time.

Russell again had trouble gettin his dalleys. That cost them some precious time but he was able to pick up both feet for a respectable time of 4.7, good for sixth in the round and a tad less than $3K each.

They also moved from sixth up to third in the Average. Way to go guys!!

Joey

The Finals I watched this afternoon showed them breakin the Barrier?

Don't know if it was todays Live Broadcast or maybe a Re-Run?

Good luck guys!

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

ElkA, that was a re-run of last night. Far as i know, the show starts about 7:pm, west Coast time, every night.

I don't know what's up with Russell not getting his Dalleys clean. He's been winning big against grown men since he was 12 years old. This is also his 3rd NFR trip and he ain't much one for getting nervous or shook up. $hit happins i guess!

Joey

Well, Russell's team caught again making them one of only four teams to have times in the first four rounds. Last night Russell only picked up one leg and that made a good 4+ second go round with great cash payout into a 9+ second run good for 6th in the go round, a smaller yet nice $3K check each, and moved them up to second place in the average.

Those that are interested in any of the events and the placings of these guys in all the go rounds, this link is a just awesome.

http://www.prorodeo.com/Leaderboard_Standings.aspx?su=7&xu=TRHL

Tonight's show will make the half way point of this NFR. Lots of money still to win!

Joey

3.5 SAGE!

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-12 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]No dally troubles tonight. 18k will work. Moving up in the average.

Still 4 chances.

Russell made the Cardozas proud tonight. 2 tenth shy of the arena record. Joe Beaver never gave up on them all week!

The way they been catching all week, they could still take home gold buckle.

And I bet Russ just hated having to stand next to that blonde! Careful, I've noticed she only talks to the guys with fat wallets!

Happy for you Sage!

DC

Yes Sir, 3.5 seconds! That was a Nice Run!! They been fast all week but for a little something. They were due!

I got a bunch of e-,mails today, pic's of Russell with other family members kicking it and goofing around. Looks like they all are having a great ol time, might be even better now...

Thanks for the notes guys!!

Joey

A bit of the spotlight for the boys... I see a ton of my Uncle Russ in young Russell, especially in his smile.

Maybe be one of you guys can inform me, 2Lumpy mentioned the Gold Buckle. Is the Gold Buckle for winning the average in the finals or for winning the National Championship, total dollars won during the whole year? Thanks!

Joey

Sage,
I can't see anything, anywhere where it actually say's a gold buckle goes to the average win, it looks like the gold only goes to the world champions.

Looks like day money winners get a "day money buckle" but there's nothing indicating gold for the average. Sorry about that, I thought I heard one of the commentators refer to a gold for the average winners last night but I'm old any easily confused.

Your cuz has been right on top of those steers this week Sage, if the horse he switched to last night made the difference, they could sure bring home a pocket full of jingle with four days still to go.

Setting in third now.......... if either of the two teams ahead of them miss a leg, they'll could still move higher in the average or win it out right.

Fun to watch guys that are more than just good athletes, thanks for letting us share the experience, adds to the entertainment factor.

DC

You Guys see the New Ms Rodeo?

A local Gal from here just 3 Miles down the Road from me!

15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

Kinda purdy there Bessy, musta moved there from Kali, eh. :)

Guys, thanks for the info on the Gold buckle!!

Businessman's night for Russell and associate. They drew a fast steer, Colby made a longer shot than a guy likes and Russell picked up both feet. They were just out of the money tonight but their time of 5.1 was good enough to move them up to second in the average, only 2 seconds out of the lead. All told, a nice go round!!

Joey

I saw them catch tonight and a lot of other teams miss, break out, or pick up only one foot but that was between poker hands at a home game that i've long been a part of. I get home and e-mails from my Sis says they somehow got a no-time. Could somebody catch me up on what happened?

They can't say that they haven't had their chances. Might not have had many breaks but they've had their chances. I feel for the kids!!

Joey

couesfever, Thanks for that...and all the other useful info you have provided for the positive gain to this thread.

Yeah, i thought that they had caught clean, not the best time but a tough steer and they had got it done. Still though, i thought they were clean and with most of the guys above them having missed, i was excited for them going into the last round. oh well...

Thanks again for clearing that up! Big time round money for tonight guys and catching at all should get them a piece anyway, of the average money.

Joey

Sorry Russell and his partner didn't finish quite as well as they started but he finished 7th in the all round which is right in there with some pretty amazing company.

Thanks for adding some more interest to the NFR Sage.

DC

Well, Russell's partner didn't do so well, he missed again, causing them to not score at all in the last three rounds. Russell himself i thought had a pretty good roping. He caught every steer that his header roped for him. I'll bet Colby feels bad about missing but if it were easy, everybody would be roping there.

So, they finished way down to 8th in the average of 15 teams. That still payed $4417. for a NFR's grand total winnings of $28,562. each man earned for the 10 round event. Just think of the money that they COULD have made if they did better or even placed in a few of those last rounds. Still not a bad week!

Congrats to Chad Masters and Clay Cooper for winning the team Roping event, the only team catching all 10 of their steers and in a very good average time of 7.3 seconds.

2lumpy, Thank you for you timely updates and kind words...and the rest, it's been a good thread and fun for me to watch and follow along with you guys. I got an idea that Russell and Pard will be back next year!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom