NASCAR - is it a sport?

Feleno

Long Time Member
If the drivers had to push the cars around the track i'd be more inclined to say yes. maybe its more entertainment than sport? Just askin'

Feleno,
I say yes, it is!

Maybe this will help you decide :)

nascar_girls-2308.gif

HEY Feleno!!!

I THINK IF YOU WENT TO EVEN JUST ONE RACE YOU'D LIKE IT!!!

YOU GET 160,000+ REDNECKS ALL IN ONE PILE YOU'LL SEE SOME ENTERTAINMENT I GUARANTEE IT!!!

IF YOUR HEARING AIN'T SHOT IT WILL BE WHEN YOU RETURN FROM A RACE!!!

AWW THE SMELL OF 43 OF THEM BAD BOYS RUNNING AROUND THE TRACK!!!

NOT ONLY A SPORT Feleno BUT MORE SPECTATORS THAN ANY OTHER SPORT ON EARTH!!!

I THINK YOU'D LIKE IT!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

LAST EDITED ON May-13-09 AT 06:44AM (MST)[p]Catman
I DO LIKE NASCAR! Saw a big race in Phoenix a few years back, seen many shorter track races elsewhere. much more fun in person than on TV though. nothing like leaving the track half deaf, your body still vibrating, smelling of exhaust and the track grit in your mouth.

i'm sure it takes some stamina and endurance to drive, just wasnt sure if the drivers would be considered athletes???

Complete
if i had them skanky women in my pit crew i'd be sure to wear my restrictor plate :)

We may not have elk or muleys in NC but by gosh we've got NASCAR!

Most all of the race teams shops are located in Mooresville, NC about 1.5 hrs from my home.

EVERYONE here is a Nascar fan & theres always a good argument, sometimes almost a fight, around the coffee pot on Monday mornings at work!

ce
you have to wonder if it can be a sport if you can still compete being 100 pounds overweight, cigarette in one hand, a cold beer in the other, all at the same time. i'm talking about golf and bowling, NASCAR i'm not sure. I think Tiger has made golf a sport more than its ever been but its borderline. funny to hear the golfers complain about having to walk 18 holes in 85 degree heat. must be rough. Hike 12 miles with 60 pounds on your back for 5 days you whiners!

The old man answer;

If you can stop in the middle of whatever you are doing and take a dump, or a nap.....it ain't a sport.

Fishing is not a sport. Tournament Bass fishing is a sport.

Golf is not a sport. Tournament golf is a sport.

Driving around looking for chicks is not a sport. Driving around a track at 180 mph, in traffic, is a sport.

LAST EDITED ON May-13-09 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]I gotta admit, Bobcat got me interested. I'd like to go to one someday.

I don't like that ground level camera they show sometimes though. That one with the gopher? It makes me car sick.

Driving on the freeway around SLC is as close as you can get to actually being in a race. I would advise a helmet and a roll bar, at least.

Eel

Feleno, if a driver was 100 pounds over
weight, he would not be able to fit into
the car, they are all very fit, look at
Mark Martin in his 50s and they say he is
about the most fit driver in Nascar.

Watch it and you will see that it is a
sport, it isn't just about driving around
in circles for 4 hours.

One by one I am getting my friends to
watch it, if they don't they always
try find out who won.

"Don't knock it till you try it"

HNT
Reread that post.... i said golf and bowling (referring to 100 pounds overweight), not NASCAR drivers. i know most of them guys look to be in fair shape, some of them even work out. Heard a good interview with Martin the other day and his work out program. that guy IS fit! As for it being a sport, maybe. Not on the same level as football or basketball IMO.

SPORT, PASSTIME.....ITS ALL TERMINOLOGY. WHAT REALLY MAKES ME LAUGH IS WHEN PEOPLE REFER TO NASCAR DRIVERS & GOLFERS AS ATHLETES.......NOW THATS FUNNY......YD.

Terminology indeed!

What makes an athelete?

Very few people in pro sports put in the gym time that Tiger Woods or Mark Martin invest. Are they not atheletes?

Maybe it is the jock strap that defines sport? But then womens softball and womens volleyball would just be entertainment?

Texas Hold 'Em is on ESPN....that's a sport? What about the Hot Dog Eating championships?

I'm not sure there is an answer to the question.

Hitting a golf ball is an athletic move, no different than hitting or throwing a baseball. I say if baseball players are atheletes, so are golfers.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON May-13-09 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-13-09 AT 09:42?AM (MST)

Where is JB with his dead horse?

Here is my opinion -

NASCAR is a sport. WWE is sports entertainment.
NASCAR drivers are not athletes though what they do is something athletic. WWE wrestlers are athletes, but entertainers as well, though most of what they do is neither athletic nor entertaining.

Golf is a sport, golfers are athletes, but Tiger Woods is not the greatest athlete in the world. Michael Phelps is.

The rest of the "Sports" mentioned are more or less sports in varying degrees of hierarchal order, though I would call Poker a game rather than a sport, it involves thinking only and that schmaltzy thing they do with their chips is just freaking annoying.

Just remember summer sports are like summer help -

some are sports, some are not!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

SOME OF YOU FELLAS MAY WANT TO RE THINK THIS. AN ATHLETE IS A PERSON THAT CAN JUMP,THROW,SPRINT,LIFT,HIT, & CATCH BECAUSE THEY ARE IN SHAPE......THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO SWEATS BECAUSE THEY TRAIN HARD. NOW THAT LEAVES OUT PEOPLE WHO CAN ONLY HIT A GOLF BALL WHILE ITS NOT MOVING & PEOPLE WHO SIT BEHIND A STEERING WHEEL.......YOU HAVE TO BE IN SHAPE (ROUND IS NOT THE SHAPE OF AN ATHLETE....SO JOHN DALEY IS OUT).

TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT........YD.

LAST EDITED ON May-13-09 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]This one is easy YD - hell anyone in shape SHOULD be able to jump, throw, sprint, lift, hit and catch! It takes someone REAL ATHLETIC to do those things when they are not in shape! So Actually John Daley is one hell of an athlete in my book!

Babe Ruth was never in shape - was he not an athlete then?

Charles Barkley was round - and he could jump, throw, shoot, spring, lift, hit and catch - so he wasn't an athlete either?

Tiger Woods, who hits a little white ball while it's not moving for a living, is in better shape that 99.9% of the earth's population so he is therefore an athlete right?

Again - where is JB's dead horse?

Oh - here it is:

4a0b0f8b42cedcb7.jpg

Now I fancy myself an athlete of some sorts, I can do all those things better than most (except for the sprinting part - I can do it, not just very fast!) - WITHOUT BEING IN SHAPE WHATSOEVER, but granted I can do them lots better and lots longer when I am in shape. My neighbor runs 35 miles a week, can do 200 or so pull-ups but my eight year old daughter can throw a ball better than he can! When we play basketball, he is the first one up the court but no one will ever pass it to him because he will inevitably shoot the ball into the bottom part of the rim, one time causing the ball to come directly back at him square in teh face, knocking him partially unconcious! Shape has NOTHING to do with athleticism, except that you can do it better if you are already athletic. Athleticism is the innate ability to do those things consistently and accurately over an elapsed period of time.

I wouldn't go as far as calling NASCAR drivers athletes, nor what they do athletic, but there is some innate ability including reflexes, instincts, endurance and muscle control required.

Golfers are athletes, though not at the caliber of Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, etc. What they do requires precise muscle and reflex control over an extended period of time. They do not do much aerobic exercise, but the anaerobic exercise they do is comparable if not greater than many other sports out there. Hitting a golf ball correctly and precisely, with instruments "ill designed for that very purpose" is an extremely athletic body movement. And yes, when John Daley was in shape - he could do it as well as anyone. He may not be the best on the PGA right now, but you won't catch me playing $5 a hole with him, becuase if he wanted to, he could totally own me all day long - just on his innate athletic golfing ability alone. (Try doing your job all long with a cigarrette hanging out of your mouth and you back pockets holding a 12 oz can of beer each!)

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I believe that the fans sitting in the bleachers all day and night,going back and forth for beer and restrooms are athletes.All that elbow lifting and walking up and down the bleachers all day long,you have to be in shape!(ROD)

is bowling a sport?
is golf a sport?
watching grass grow a sport?
I don't think so!

4a03d572639d0132.jpg

Rackmaster

an athlete is defined as a person trained in games or excercises requiring skill, strength, stamina,etc. so i guess nascar racers or other racers are not athletes. but then athletes just play games. LOL
so a pool player MUST be a athlete. poker is a game requiring skill so the players must be athletes, right.
most sports other than pool, take 1 ball racing takes 2.
maybe we could say if steroid abuse is common in what you do, you must be a athlete. LOL ce61 PS when is poker going to be in the olympics????????????????

LAST EDITED ON May-13-09 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]
Ernest Hemingway once said "Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."

I've never been to a Nascar event.
I am a drag racing fan, and can tell you that TV does absolutley NOTHING to convey the feeling and extremley violent nature of 7000 horsepower x 2 leaving the line and reaching up to 336 mph in a 1/4 mile.
Words cannot describe the wicked explosion of power of these vehicles.
My words are worthless, unless you have felt the shockwaves that rattle your teeth you have no concept of what I am describing.

Many ask the question "who couldn't drive a car through a simple 1/4 straight line dragstrip."

Well, unless you have seen & felt 14,000 horsepower unleashed in front of you by two cars you simply cannot comprehend it, the earsplitting roar, the eyewatering fumes of the nitromethane fuel and the grandstand shaking power, you just don't know.
I urge you to attend a NHRA national event, there is nothing on earth that compares for sheer brutal power....

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/zzzzzz.jpg[/IMG]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/ea11x_09441-650x443.jpg[/IMG]

zzzzzzz.jpg

These are some cool drag racing facts....

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Indy. 500.

* Under full throttle, a Top Fuel dragster engine consumes 1= gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge 426 Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

* Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The red-line is actually quite high at 9500 rpm.

* The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.

Tony Schumacher in the ARMY Dragster holds the 1/4 mile speed record at 336 mph & 4.41 seconds.

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are riding the average $250,000 Honda MotoGP bike. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the RC211V hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph (293 ft/sec). The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your wrist cranked hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That, folks, is acceleration.

Nascar is a team sport and probably much like drag racing, TV does it little justice.

You ball sport guys may not call it a sport but it is sure something else to experience!
HH

Is beating a dead horse a sport?

Golfers might not be atheletes but they're smarter than baseball players. They don't have to run after hitting the ball, and they get somebody to carry their clubs.

Eel

NASCAR a sport? No, Pro Rally is a sport!!
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

My buddy has a t shirt that says "If huntin is a sport....well your lookin at an athlete". :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I SAW A BUMPER STICKER THAT SAID: NASCAR= "NON ALTHLETIC SPORT CENTERED AROUND REDNECKS" ....I GOT A CHUCKLE....BUT I STILL WATCH IT SOME..................YD.

>Is beating a dead horse a
>sport?

>Eel

If that be the case Eel, we got many top athletes around here
:) we might have to start testing for roid use !

We ain't gonna get anywhere on this unless and until we all agree on the definition of a "sport".

And we ain't gonna all agree on that definition.

Conclusion:We ain't gonna get anywhere on this....

Whoa horsey,

your inference Cbeard is that we typically get somewhere
or solve something with type here @ MM,
that premise is simply preposterous ! :)

I did not think deep sea fishing was a sport until me and JB pushed Ransom overboard in shark infested waters and told him we'd meet him at the harbor. Boy that cat can swim.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom