N Texas and surrounding areas

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
My son is going to be stationed at Sheppard AFB, which is in N Texas. He has grown up hunting ducks, geese, deer, and elk here in Idaho. He has killed a few hogs at a friends ranch in No Cal also. What opportunities might be within a 4-5 hour drive of where he will be, that doesn't require a LEASE.

PM me if you don't feel like publicizing, but any info is appreciated. Unfortunately I'm not sure he will have enough leave to come deer/elk hunt back here in Idaho this year and has not other out of state tags or apps in at this point.

LBJ National Grassland has some public hunting. I'm sure its within 4 hours. You will have to get a tresspass permit, details are on the web. There is deer, turkey, and quail.

Texas has a number of public places to hunt but you have to draw a permit. You should be able to find something with some persistence.

He should be able to find some public water to hunt ducks in the fall. There are pheasants and a lot of quail out that way, but I don't know any connections.

There is a preserve in the Witchita Mountains in Oklahoma. I can't remember if hunting allowed there. Its worth going to, even if you're not hunting. I know Ft. Sill in Lawton OK allows hunting and fishing, I don't know if it is available to any military branch. I'd bet its just for those stationed there.

Leases are a rip off in Texas, you might be able to find some affordable anterless hunts. It would be cheaper to fly home to Idaho than to hunt private ground in Texas.

Sorry, I don't have the best details. Its been about 20 years. Hope it gives you a start.

>My son is going to be
>stationed at Sheppard AFB, which
>is in N Texas.
>He has grown up hunting
>ducks, geese, deer, and elk
>here in Idaho. He
>has killed a few hogs
>at a friends ranch in
>No Cal also. What
>opportunities might be within a
>4-5 hour drive of where
>he will be, that doesn't
>require a LEASE.
>
>PM me if you don't feel
>like publicizing, but any info
>is appreciated. Unfortunately I'm
>not sure he will have
>enough leave to come deer/elk
>hunt back here in Idaho
>this year and has not
>other out of state tags
>or apps in at this
>point.

tell your son thank you for his services. i hope he finds an awesome honeyhole out there.

If he wants to head up north to South Dakota, I will hook him up on duck,geese(june draw) pheasants and Whitetail Draw (Sept for NR).

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

There's lots of opportunity for waterfowl around there with all the public lake; as far as deer goes, he can apply at Hagerman if he bowhunts. (big deer and a lot of KS genetics still showing from the transplants). LBJ is another one, Davy Crockett NF is at the edge of that 4-5hr limit and could give some pointers on that since I grew up with that as an extension of the back yard. One Section of Angelina NF falls in that limit as well and it's good bc it's surrounded by MLD 3 leases requiring a 5.5yo limit on buck harvest so the buck numbers make finding a 13" buck pretty dang easy.

If he were wanting to go on a good goose hunt with guides, call Stanfield Outfitters out of Knox City, for a good sprig shoot call Jeff Elder of Silvercreek guide service.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the ND offer, I am sure he would love that, but would likely need to wait a year to have enough time.

If he is gone for more than a weekend he has to burn leave, which is why I am asking about places within a few hours.

I'm sure he is going to want to try and get on a goose hunt, he has talked about the spring snow hunt since before he left Idaho to join.

If you fellas need any info on where to hunt here in the Potato state, PM me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom