Mystery Ranch Pack-worth the cost?

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
I am headed to the NWT in August for a backpack Dall Sheep hunt with my son. I need a big pack (6500"s) The outfitter recommends the MR pack if you want an internal frame. But the price is 600+
Any thoughts on alternatives? Are they worth the cost?

I have a MR Pack and it's my go to pack for extended backcountry trips. I own Eberlestock and a few other brands, but none of the packs I own compare when it comes to hauling a heavy load. Super comfortable! Another good pack maker is Kifaru. Good luck on your hunt.

LAST EDITED ON May-19-10 AT 11:59AM (MST)[p]Besides the Kifaru and MR (both good load carrying packs), you might also consider the Gregory Denali. Also, get the Kifaru Gun Bearer to hold the rifle and keep your hands free for the trekking poles.
http://www.rei.com/product/648696
REI members get 20% off one item during the anniversary sale May 21-31

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

I used the 6500 for my 12 day dall sheep hunt last year and believe me, you will LOVE that pack. It is worth every penny. My guide tried it on and then said that the first thing he was going to do when he got back to civilization was to order one for himself.

I just picked one up at the expo in SLC. I haven't had a chance to use it in the field but I have loaded it up with plenty of weight and the balance and comfort are awesome. I talked to a sheep outfitter at the show and he said that this the main pack his guides use. They love them! I'm sure I'll have more feed back after this falls hunts!

I have one and really like it. However, I must say that I am disappointed in the Company. I initially bought the crew cab with the lid (the top cover that costs an extra $100) I then decided to buy the 6500. MR sent me another lid with the 6500. I called them and told them that I obviously didn't need two lids and asked them if they would take back the new one and refund me my $100. I was told no and to go try to sell my lid on ebay. That is crappy customer service when you consider how much I spent with them.

I own two - the Crew Cab (great day pack or up to 3-4 day hunts) and a Kodiak (5+ day hunts). These packs ride really well for me with normal to heavy loads and I haven't even looked at another pack (except another MR) since picking them up after owning a half dozen packs from makers such as Badlands and Eberlestock. As far as cost, they are pricey, but if you have the cash IMO they are worth the money. With that said, I picked my CC up for $250 new and my Kodiak for $400 slightly used. These packs come up on EBay, 24hourcampfire, and other sites occasionally, so if you are diligent and patient there can be some good deals to be had. Good luck with your search.

I had a poor experience with Mystery Ranch also.

I won a pack from them from HF. After many calls from myself and HF about a year later I got it.

The one I got was not even one of their standard models. It was at best a prototype worse a reject.

They were no help on the phone. They will not see any of my money.

So, For those of you who love yours, did you go with the NICE system or the internal frame? As I said, I am going to be using it for a 10 day Dall hunt.

I agree. They are worth the money! Especially when you have a HUGE load and a long pack out.

I wouldn't buy anything from REI though as mentioned above. They don't support us hunters and donate to many anti orgs.

I have a Kifaru pack I am going to sell. It is the longhunter with all the extras.I will take $450.00

I have the NICE with a cargo sling and 5000 bag(not offered anymore). One thing about the NICE frame is that the load lifter straps do not pull up at a 45* angle as the frame is not tall enough. The LL straps tend to pull straight back/horizontally. On the internal frame packs like the Grizzly and Kodiak, the lifter straps do pull the shoulder straps off the top back of the shoulder as designed.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

>I have the NICE with a
>cargo sling and 5000 bag(not
>offered anymore). One thing
>about the NICE frame is
>that the load lifter straps
>do not pull up at
>a 45* angle as the
>frame is not tall enough.
> The LL straps tend
>to pull straight back/horizontally.
>On the internal frame packs
>like the Grizzly and Kodiak,
>the lifter straps do pull
>the shoulder straps off the
>top back of the shoulder
>as designed.
>

I have a Patent Pending solution to the Nice Frame problem you mention, to be available shortly.
It will provide total adjustment for the Lifter Strap angle and will transfer the load into the Nice Frame system.
I'm currently trying to fit it to a cpl other frames as well.

There is not a more comfortable pack made than the MR when carrying heavy loads. Period! I have owned a Dana Designs pack since the early 90's, which was the predecessor company to MR. My Dana pack has hundreds of backpacking days on it and is still going strong. I am planning on using it on my sheep hunt this year. I purchased a crewcab two years ago but haven't seen the need to upgrade to the large bag bacause my Dana still works well. Bottom line, is that you cannot buy a better pack. In my opinion weight is the only downfall to their packs, that and price. But when you kill a sheep and have 100+ lbs on your back, the investment will be paying you back huge dividends. Good luck on your hunt. As per one of the above posts, Gregory also makes a good expedition style pack. TJ

Unless you really think you are going to add the load sling for hauling out game, I would go with the Grizzly or the Kodiak internal frame pack. Another option would be to get the G6000 in green listed under recreational/expedition packs. I think it is about $75.00 cheaper. I'm not sure what the difference is between that model and the Grizzly. I have a G6000 from 2005 that I love (they didn't make a hunting model back then). I use it as an everyday hunting pack just in case I need to haul some meat out. I know that if my MR pack ever wears out I will be buying another one.

I agree with sheepfever. I'd go with a Grizzly or Kodiak. My Kodiak seems to ride better by keeping a load closer to my back than the 6500 bag that I used to have on my NICE frame. Others may disagree, but that is what I've found. However, the NICE frame is great because you can switch different bags in and out making it very versatile.

i bought the NICE 6500 and spent all of august chasin sheep in the brooks range of alaska. i wouldnt trade the pack for anything, got back to arizona and packed out 2 hide quarters of a friends bull in one load...peice of cake, rode like a caddy. would recommend them to anyone. A++++

I bought a NICE frame 3 or 4 years ago and now have 3 bags to go with it (Longbow, Crew Cab, and 6500). You won't find a more versatile system than that. It takes about 2 minutes to switch from 1 bag to the next and they all use the same frame.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom