My Wyoming Antelope & Deer Hunt....

kilowatt

Well since I did not get my Muley this year but did fill my Antelope tags, and my friend did like wise except he shot his Muley I will make the whole post here.

Left home on Sat. Oct. 10th and headed to Wendover, UT to our first stop...nothing exciting there...all Hotels were FULL with Bonneville racers I guess.
Left early the next morning and headed to WYO and when we were getting close to Casper on highway, the roads were covered with snow and the dreaded BLACK ICE. Don't remember exactly were south of Casper it happened but Bob started to slide on the damn icey road, but was able to correct the trailer and PU and keep it straight after a few minutes it seemed and headed right.
Got to Casper and checked in at the Motel and unloaded the gear and unhooked the trailer.

The next morning was the start of the Antelope season and out west we headed in the dark of the night. First day was cold, only a little white stuff and nothing able to get close to that day. The Antelope had been shot at since Sept. opener....we had late season tags.
Second morning went to another location and we went different ways and after about an hour I heard a shot and also some guys over on a ranch "calling yotes", wondered if the shot was theirs or my friend. At the hour of checking with each other, he called my on the talkie and said he got his Lope and was headed back to the PU. We finally got it loaded up and found some "harder" ground instead of MUCKY MUD....then took care of the caping and bagging...pics attached.
Took it to the locker back in town and then headed back out to another area we had previously looked at.
Got my Lope buck later that afternoon and was very happy with this one and surprised too with his "cheater points". Was back to locker in town by 5pm. Now we had two Antelope Buck tags filled, just need to fill the Lope doe tags the next day or two.

The next day it was WINDY....gusts at times we heard later that night were 35MPH....and it was cold that day too.
Bob missed a doe that morning and I dropped my doe that afternoon. Out came the rigging again and we skinned it out and cleaned it up and then bagged it after the body cooled down.
Took it back to locker and called it a day.
Then on the 4th day, the 15th was the start of Deer season so we changed locations again and seemed like more guys around this area then hunting for Deer. Never seen one worth putting a tag on till later that afternoon and Bob spotted one while glassing. So off he goes trying to close the distance and about 20 minutes later I see him setting the bipod on his rifle and one well place shot and the heavy bodied 3x3 Muley hit the dirt from his .257 Weatherby.
I found another jeep road down aways from where we parked the truck, so drove over to it and we dragged the buck to the truck and finally got it on the side of trailer. We took his Muley back to locker before they closed up for the night.

Hauled two ATV's from Cali and he use one only once earlier that day since one main road was so bad with MUD he went alone and I drove around to meet him up at a cross road...17 miles later...only 6-7 miles for him.

Next morning we were up and headed back up north to the area I got my Lope Buck as the west side of the road was our Doe unit and seen a lot of Lopes in the area before. Well the hunch paid off, as we were about 1/2 mile past were I got my Buck and we saw a Lope BUCK and his doe, no other lopes at all. They were over on another hillside about 1/4 mile and so Bob gets out and goes out into the sage to a small rise and lays down and readys for the shot. The buck was ready to vacate the area and as soon as he left his girls side, Bob shot and put her down with one shot behind the shoulder.
I went out and got his rifle and came back to pu and he headed over there and got her and dragged her back to an old 4x4 road were I met him and we did the skinning there and as soon as the body cooled down we bagged it and headed back to town with her.

So we had filled 5 of 6 tags and were satisfied and called it quits. I could have filled my Muley Buck tag with a small forkie but decided not too let him get bigger unless someone else decides differently.
Here are the pictures of the bucks we got.
Brian

4ae1384d270b44fa.jpg

4ae1388a2cc619ca.jpg

4ae138db2eab226f.jpg

My Antelope pictures.
4ae13920300c3dd9.jpg

4ae13966327d5bb3.jpg

4ae139ac341be423.jpg

4ae139e434f3ad0b.jpg

4ae13a1536574e98.jpg

This last picture was on the highway outside of Farson, Wy on the way to Kemmerer.
4ae13a9138538fbb.jpg

Very nice buck kilo....I like those extra's...good job

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Congrats Kilo...Looks like you guys had some fun!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-09 AT 06:39AM (MST)[p]Hey Kilo I've been looking everyday for your post!!
Looks like you had the same weather I did.
Congrats on your antelope - you buck looks like a good one.
Thanks for the post & pictures!!!

Dave,
I was going to but did not have your new address or phone with me. And I thought you were back in Kemmerer not Evanston. Need to update my addy book.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Brian

Very cool buck. congrats to both of you. I've been seeing extra trash on alot of bucks around casper. Big trash like that. My father in law got one north of town that had 4 cutters. The more trash the better i think. I talked to a game bioligist last year that told me they look for that as an indication of the antelope in that area getting a nutrient rich diet. Must be all the moisture. Congrats again

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Brian, that was a well planned and executed hunt. Glad it turned out well. Thanks for the story and photos.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Kilo, wish I could go with you guys but somebody has to work and keep the world turning. You did your time though so I'm glad that you can get out and do what you love. Love seeing those Wyoming pictures with the snow. Talk to ya later. fatrooster.

Very nice Kilo!

I need a hunt like that, too many hiking mile this year.

Antelope hunting is just a dang enjoyable time. Congrats!

Congrats on the Hunt! looks like you guys had alot of fun!!! I like that Stand that you have for the back of the truck to hang game on... very nice!!!

Waited to hear from you Brian.....looks like you had a good time while here.

Mike
at235.gif

Hi Mike,
We were quite busy and never able to call you and to make the matters worse, I lost the number one of the guys who works out there with you gave me. I saw him in the WalMart store on Sunday evening Oct.11th, he was wearing a jacket and had the name of company and the place out there where you work.
I asked him his name and then asked him if he knew you, yes was the reply. He told me that you would be working all that week on days from I think 7am-7pm.
Then when we were done hunting tried calling the home number I had, but no longer in use.

Hope to get back out there next year, will have to meet then. That Guadalajara's Restaurant on CY Ave sure is good, highball glasses are 16 oz'ers.

Kilo, I know I read this thread, but I guess I forgot to congratulate you on the fine buck...congrats!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom