My Wyo Antelope.....

kilowatt

Well nothing like some of the others being posted lately, but that doesn't mean much to me since this was my first time after them "rockets".

Got snow, wind and fog that first morning of Sep 24th and it sure was a mess on the mountains. Seen only two Bucks and one was a bit bigger than this one I finally taken a day later.
The next morning try some other areas that I was told to try by some of the members here but no luck. One big SOB would not leave his "girls" and his backside was a major roadway, so no shooting there. He kept that road to his back and ran about 500 yards farther out so just gave up.
That afternoon I went back to the place where I had finally came out on the day before and headed back up there in mountain to see if I could find them other two bucks, but the road was a mess so gave up as still had about 2-3 miles to go.
Coming back down the road I spotted some lopes so parked the rig. Walked down over the side and got in a draw and waited for him to come up in view, when he stepped out in the clearing I shot and since he never moved, figured I missed so fired the second shot and he took off running back but in a half circle and fell over on his side. He raised up and flopped back over.
I walked down to him and noticed he was hit twice, must have been dead on his feet and did not know it.
I drug him up to the road after gutting him and walked back up the road to get the PU. Drove down and started rigging up my hoist and take care of the skinning etc.
When I had him done, he was clean and no hair, dirt or blood on the whole body. Used 5 bottles of water and rag to wash him down and he got a nice glaze on him from that wind. Put a bag around him to keep the dirt and flies off him in truck.
Took him to a butcher the next morning down in Green River and the guy was happy to see a clean animal to work with unlike the lope that two young guys brought in their, what a mess.
Like I stated he isn't the biggest, only about 11-1/2" on the right horn but that is fine with me. Next time I will be more selective and spend more time before pulling the trigger.
Here are three pictures.
Brian
mylope07.jpg

mylope07a.jpg

mylope07b.jpg

Congrats kilowatt, nothing wrong with that buck at all. I have a hoist like that and it is awesome for cleaning antelope. Did you use R&B meats in green river or hendersons? Congrats once again glad you had a good time.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-07 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-07 AT 05:13?PM (MST)

Chance,
Yes I used R&B's Meats, he was a great guy to talk with too. Had it all cut, wrapped and partial frozen by the next morning at 9am. Got Dry Ice at Wally World in Evanston and again in Elko that following day for the drive home.
That rigging I used belongs to a friend of mine, been used for the last 25 years or so but it is "heavy" 1/4" wall steel tubing. I just ordered some Aluminum Square Tubing with 1/4" wall and will have it done I hope for my Colorado deer trip coming up on Nov. 3rd. Will be much lighter to handle.

Brian
P.S. Forgot to mention one thing, I want to thank these MM'ers for their info and advice that made this trip worth while.
Thank you OddNut1, Red Rabbit, RELH, dwalton, Devlin, ChesterWyo and last but not least Longun for showing me around again back there. Also final thanks to Eelgrass for a great time we had together he won't forget that STAR HOTEL in Elko for a long time.
YOU can't go away from there HUNGRY.........lol

Good job kilowatt, nice buck. I really like that set-up. We had no trees and that would have come in really handy on our trip. Hope you had a great time! buckspotter7

Brian, congratulations on a beautiful pronghorn. Where did you find that dry road? LOL! I never found one like that!

It was a real pleasure to share this hunt with you. From the great dinner at the Star Hotel in Elko, to all the driving around we did in Wyoming. Thanks for showing me around. It was all pretty foreign to me.

It's always great to hunt with someone who is reliable and dependable, and I found out that you are as nice in person as you are on MM! Count me in for the next adventure.

Good luck in Colorado next month!

Steve

Brian,

Very Cool Buck.

You'da Man. I like that.

Glad you had a good hunt.

I'm just glad you and what's his name got out of
there without getting locked up.

Eel, that's that guys name......can never remember.

Congrats man. You did Great.

Larry

Way to go, Kilowatt! I'm still trying to figure out when I can squeeze in 2 days for my antelope hunt. Glad you had a good time. Best of luck in Colorado.

Congrats Brian! Hopefully next year if all goes as planned I will be chasing speedgoats! What area did you hunt?

Good job on your Pronghorn. It looks like we'll have another regular Wyoming speedgoat hunter after this. :)

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Brian,

Nice speed goat and pics. Congrats!...sounds like a great hunt.

Headed tomorrow to Ely for my daughter's early deer rifle tag.

Ed

4703aa083a7b4e0c.jpg

Ed,

Hope that your daughter gets a nice Buck down there, are you going with "you know who"? Or just on your own down there?
Good luck and take lots of pictures.

Brian

Brian you did real good and thats a nice lope,Congrats, your hooked now.What rifle were you shooting and how far was the shot ? also good luck in Colorado I hope you get a good one...Devlin

Tom,
I was using my Browning Stalker in .280 Rem. shooting 140gr. Fed. Accubonds. The shot was probably only about 100 yards, got lucky in that way.
I plan on getting a Savage in 25-06 later and yes I think I do have the bug. Just tonight the wife cooked some Lopeburgers and they were great since I did not have any type of fat mixed at the butcher shop, all Lope meat.

Brian

Brian & Steve,
Great to see you ole MM codgers*
out there gettin it done.
You two always seem like great guys.
I'll bet you really enjoyed your trip together.
Sometimes the quality of a trip cannot be measured in inches.
I'ts great to see MMers hook up and put together a successful trip.

Ditto on the generousity of the MM members.

*PS, I'm not that far behind you guys in age...LOL
HH

Harry,

Thanks for the nice remarks about ole Goats like Steve and I, but sure hate sitting home while hunting seasons are happening all over the West.
In regards to your statement:

*PS, I'm not that far behind you guys in age...LOL
HH

You might be farther behind than you think, my daughter is 2 years older than you.........LOL
My present wife and I just had our 40th Anniversary.
Brian

Brian,
Looks like some pretty country with the changing aspens in the draws. Also looks like your boots could weigh 40 pounds if the soil is wet. Congrats on a fun and successful trip and hunt. Next year, I hope you can get that big SOG.

On your hoist, you might consider having the lower arm coming out of the receiver hitch made longer so you can lower the tailgate.

Doug~RR

Brian;
congrats on your first lope, should be fine eating. I did forget to tell you one thing. Lope hunting is very addictive, once you have taken your first, you will not be able to stop hunting them.
You will be back to Wyoming before you know it.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-07 AT 04:03PM (MST)[p]Doug,
This hanger for game is not mine, it belongs to a friend. I will be having a new "all ALUMINUM" one made soon and it will be longer for the receiver so I can lower the tailgate.

Robert,
You are so right, I have points here in CA and also for Nevada and might even look into other states, it is a blast. Them suckers can run and the eye sight is awesome, sure wish I had their eye sight.
I just took a Weatherby .223 I won a few years ago at a CDA fund raiser to the local gun store to sell of consignment. If it sells, a 25-06 will be on order that same day. LOL

Brian

Nice story and some real nice pictures to go along with the hunt, congratulations on your hunt. Like that rigging to skin out animals, must be able to do a cleaner job.
Oh yea, is that a bottle opener on the inside of truck side panel with something attached to it? Looks like an old beer bottle opener............LMAO

bb

GGG,

I see you are looking elsewhere other than the Lope. The "rigging" as you call it does make it easier to clean out the game, in fact, this year I never punctured the urine sac as I was cleaning it. Made it a whole lot easier to do the chore.

YES, that is an "old Coke Cola" bottle opener. It has been in every truck I have had over the years. Will go in the next truck down the road too. Just nver know when someone might offer a beer without the twist off cap. LOL

Brian

Here are a coupe of pictures of the final mounting for a Euro Style mount.
A friend did the "cleaning job" and then he sent them back to me to mount. Ordered a panel setup from Van Dykes and re-attached them to the panel and hot glued the sheaths to the horn bone from skull.
First for me too on something like this.
Brian
wylope1.jpg

wylope2.jpg

wylope3.jpg

wylope4.jpg

Looks real good Kilowatt. Was the skull boiled or cleaned with beatles? Whats the story of the big velvet muley in the picture in the background?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-07 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]Chance,
I saw that big sucker back in 1995 in southern Utah after I went through Zion Nat. Park tunnel, no worries at all right along the roadway and cars just drive by him and another one smaller. Stopped long enough to get a picture before someone gave me the horn to move.
On the head I believe that he let the maggots do the job somewhat and then boiled it, just not sure.
Brian

That looks great. I just want to see a picture of the hunter so I can put a face with the name. Thanks Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom