My thoughts on paying a guide

D

dancasey2

This is a topic I am very interested in. I do not make much money. I love to hunt. I started hunting mule deer a few years back in Nebraska. When I first went there, I had no clue as to what the hell I was doing or where I was going. I ended up with nothing and a big bill. I then got smart and married a girl out there. Her father has 10,000 acres of excellent hunting land. After a few years, I learned the land well and then started a guide service. I charge around $2200 for a 5 day hunt with all meals, lodging, booze, ect included. All the clients have to do is bring their rifel or bow. MOST ALL clients have told me they have spent just as much by having me take them out then had they went on their own and not gotten anything or fought the crowds on public land. When you figure hotel, booze, food, gas and other expensis, a person spends close to that much anyway and then they don't even have good land to hunt on. My clients have the opportunity to hunt trophy deer because I manage them and give them time to mature. ANYBODY can shoot a trophy buck if they are put in an area that they can hunt them. The problem is in this area there are HARDLY any areas left for the public that offer trophy animals. I also rent land from other ranchers and guide hunters there as well. $2000 to some sounds like a lot of profit but after I pay for lease fees, food, booze, lodging, for my clients, I really don't have a hell of a lot left. Anyway, in this area, I wish there were more public places to hunt with trophy deer. Unfortunatly there is not. So, I try to provide this service to my clients at the lowest cost possible.
http://:www.dd-trophy-deer-ranch.com/ This is my camp.Would love to hear people responses.

Me thinks you are trying for some free advertizing. If I am wrong, please forgive me.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You go out of your way to mention, more than once, that your fee includes booze. Based on my experience that would not be a significant expense on a hunting trip. Are there really that many people that bring and drink much booze on hunting trips????

Sounds like a good deal in the mid west, There are plenty of good public lands out here in West. I enjoy getting out there and scounting myself. But for out of state residents it does make sense to get a guide for some hunts.

John

Thats the best way to relax after a good day hunting is to get as drunk as an irishman on st. pattys day. Your feet dont hurt, your legs arent sore, you just feel relaxed and have a great time with hunting buds.

I'm a guide and I won't allow booze in my camps at all. worked in one to many camps that offered it. the way i figure people are there to hunt, they can drink anytime. and the safer you are the more fun you'll have in the long run.
Black River Hunting Camps

This is a subject I'm very interested in also...I'm sorry but I totally am against land being leased up for hunting purposes. The landowner doesn't own the game....get it? If land is being leased for hunting, if hunters are being charged to hunt, etc., the land should be taxed at a higher rate. This is a desease that is spreading way too fast. Hunting will soon become a game that only the rich can afford if this trend continues. Do you allow local people to hunt on the land you lease? Who coaches your son's little league team? How would you like it if it cost $2,000 for your son to play little league baseball? Greed...it's all about greed.

I totally respect that. We do not have ANY booze during the day.As for the night, well, I let them do what they want and SO FAR, have not had ANY trouble.

I see your point. However, do you think anybody should be able to hunt anywhere? My fater in law lost 2 cattle 3 years ago form careless hunters just coming in and hunting his land. Also, every year in the past he was having to spend countless hours searching for his catle due to hunters leaving gates open. I HATE paying to lease land. However, these days around here, it is the best way to ensure a private spot to hunt with trophy size animals. I wish I could hunt everywhere I want. I also think the farmers should pay more in taxes when they lease land out. I FIRMLY beleive that with crp land. Again, I respect your thoughts!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-03 AT 03:21PM (MST)[p]Tatonka,

Have you ever tried to make a living farming or ranching??? Believe me, it is getting harder and harder. Just when you think things are looking up (great beef prices, or crop prices), something like a drought, flood, or mad cow disease comes along.

If it wasn't for lease fees, lots more ranches/farms would already be housing subdivisions. Look around and see how many places you used to be able to hunt that are now housing developments. I personally know of some prime elk country in Colorado that I have hunted on (private) that is trying to find a way to refuse the offer of $7500/acre for "trophy homes". That is tough to turn down on an 1800 acre ranch. The hunting the owners do, and the lease money they bring in is the only reason it isn't homes now. If you did the math, you know that they could make a ton more money selling it, but as long as they can make some profit, they don't want to sell.

Personally, I own a ranch in Texas. I lease out 3 spots a year and also take family and friends hunting. This past year, I took 5 kids under 18 hunting (2 got their first deer) at no charge. I think I have an ideal situation where I get some lease money (actually, my widowed mother gets all the income) but still take others for no money. However, I don't condemn someone who leases his land for profit. I realize that may be less land for you to hunt on, but at least the deer and buffalo can still play there.

It is more about economic survival and preserving the land, than greed. Just my .02 from where I sit.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom